[comp.hypercube] needed pointers to enumeration sort

Duc@hubcap.UUCP (10/30/87)

Could somebody provide me some pointers to the algorithm
for "enumeration sort" on parallel machines such as the
Connection Machine ? I remember that I read it somewhere
but could not recall it.

Thanks,

Duc Tran

UUCP : uunet!dgis!duc
ARPA : duc@dgis
Tel  : 703-998-4647

pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) (11/05/87)

In article <hubcap.613> dgis!duc@uunet.uu.net (Duc Tran) writes:
>Could somebody provide me some pointers to the algorithm for "enumeration
>sort" on parallel machines such as the Connection Machine?

An interesting article on the Connection Machine appeared in the December 1986
issue of the Communications of the ACM.  It has a *radix sort* for the CM, but
I'm not sure that is what you want.  It is really quite an interesting article
as they show how they have managed to obtain a lot of parallelism for problems
which were previously thought to be quite serial in nature (such as parsing).