[comp.hypercube] Comments about change of name

Steve Stevenson (fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu) (02/12/88)

From johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu Thu Feb 11 10:46:09 1988

While comp.parallel is a better name than comp.hypercube, the best
name is comp.arch.parallel.  Some might say that parallel programming
is a software topic, not an architecture topic.  I wish that were
true, but it isn't.

	Ralph Johnson

[ Comment.  I thought of that, but I think the same argument as
  we have against "comp.hypercube" apply here.  For example,
  theoreticians or software engineers might say "Oh, that's
  machine implementation only."  Our readership spans a wide
  range of interests.

  Comments?
]
From: Ehud Shapiro <udi%WISDOM.BITNET@CNUCE-VM.ARPA>
Subject: hypercube ==> parallel

I second the motion.
A point to note: there is a newsgroup called parsym, for parallel
symbolic computation.  I haven't seen much of it lately, but perhaps it should
be united with comp.parallel as well.
        Ehud Shapiro
[
  Comment.  Good suggestion.  I'll check it out when we get at
  bit further on.
]

dfk@duke.cs.duke.edu (David Kotz) (02/12/88)

If there's enough diversity in readership, perhaps there SHOULD be two
groups, one for theory, comp.parallel, and one for architecture,
comp.arch.parallel.  However, you may find things get cross-posted a
lot. If it is not clear what the volume is, then make it as general as
can be, say comp.parallel, and when the volume/diversity increases,
split off separate groups.

David Kotz
--
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu