[can.francais] data processing terminology

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (07/28/87)

In article <12872@lion.UUCP> mfroy@lion.UUCP writes:

>                                         Marie-France.

>P.S.  Pour les personnes interessees, il existe un petit bouquin relativement
>      recent qui donne une traduction francaise aux mots de la terminologie
>      de la micro-informatique:

>                        VOCABULAIRE DU MICRO-ORDINATEUR
>                        Marie-Eva de Villers
>                        Office de la langue francaise
>                        Les Publications du Quebec
>                        1986, 67 pages,  3,95$

A few years ago (1981) I was europeanizing (I know no other word for it) a
micro-oriented software product originated in England, and worked closely with
a technical translator named Claude Camille.  During this exercise he
introduced me to a reference work which I have subsequently found invaluable:

		Harrap's French and English
			 Data Processing Dictionary

		by Claude Camille and Michel Dehaine

		3rd edition 1985, Harrap, London

		ISBN 0 245 54195 0

Although not entirely current, and not to my knowledge officially sanctioned by
any formal body, linguistic or computing, it has been twice overhauled to
reflect changing times.  I introduced it to the translation section of our
technical writing group here at Cognos and they use it as a standard first
reference source.  Well worth a look, I think, but it may have to be imported.
My local bookstore got it in a few weeks for $65.  Or should that be 65$? ;-)

Robert Stanley           Compuserve: 76174,3024        Cognos Incorporated
 uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts        3755 Riverside Drive
                   or  ...nrcaer!uottawa!robs          Ottawa, Ontario
Voice: (613) 738-1440 - Tuesdays only (don't ask)      CANADA  K1G 3N3