[can.francais] termes

chris@geac.UUCP (Chris Syed) (07/25/87)

Can anyone suggest a good canadien-francais/english computing dictionary?
I'm also looking for a good source of library terminology ... maybe a different book, but one with terms like bibliographic search, index, ALA character
set, etc. From the recent discussions in this (thankfully bilingual)
newsgroup, I gather only library companies have discovered the latter:
viz the 256 char. ASCII used by the American Library Assoc.,
which has codes for accents used in francais, espanol, deutsch, etc. (and even acouple of Vietnamese ones)?
(Pas de 'flammes', s.v.p. Je sais bien que 'library' soit 'bibliotheque' !).

lamy@utegc.UUCP (07/27/87)

Pour les termes en Francais (version Amerique du Nord du dit langage),

"Terminologie de l'informatique", Office de la langue Francaise.

Disponible via:
	   Ministere des Communications
	   Diffusion des publications
	   Case Postale 1005
	   Quebec, QC
	   G1K 7B5

Desole, je n'ai pas le prix. Un coup de fil au comptoir du Quebec a Toronto
devrait pouvoir aider.

Pour ce qui est de l'ASCII 256-bit, il existe des standards ISO pour les
differents langages.  ISO-Latin 1 contient tous les caracteres pour l'Amerique
du Nord et du Sud et l'Europe de l'Ouest.  ISO- Latin 2 contient les
caracteres pour les langages Est-Europeens, et ainsi de suite...

Jean-Francois Lamy                      lamy@ai.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science      lamy@ai.toronto.cdn (EAN X.400)
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4   {seismo,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!lamy

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (07/30/87)

In article <968@geac.UUCP> chris@geac.UUCP (Chris Syed) writes:
>newsgroup, I gather only library companies have discovered the latter:
>viz the 256 char. ASCII used by the American Library Assoc.,
>which has codes for accents used in francais, espanol, deutsch, etc.
>(and even acouple of Vietnamese ones)?

Speaking of 8-bit ASCII character sets, ISO Latin 1 is now standard.
It is likely to be widely adopted in the reasonably near future; for the
time being however we are stuck with the current slew of vendor-specific
mutually incompatible 8-bit character sets.  Also, the fact that so much
software implicitly assumes 7-bit characters means it will be a long while
before we will be able to use accented characters on the net.

Below are two messages, one from comp.std.internat and one from e-mail,
which give some information on 8-bit character standards and an address
where more information can be obtained (the ECMA in Europe... perhaps there
is a North American source as well?).

If anyone cares to dig it up, ISO Latin 1 was described in an issue of BYTE
magazine sometime within the last year (in a preliminary form -- two minor
changes were made in the final approved standard, as described below)

==========

ISO Latin-1, or more completely ISO Latin Alphabet No 1, is now an
international standard as of February 1987 (IS 8859, Part 1).
For those American USEnet'rs that care, the 8-bit ASCII standard,
which is essentially the same code, is going through the final
administrative processes prior to publication.

The code table that was posted earlier by Mr. Sommarskog to the net is from
an earlier draft of the standard, the following changes have been made:

OLD DRAFT:
13/07   (This position shall not be used)
15/07   (This position shall not be used)

FINAL STANDARD:

13/07    MULTIPLICATION SIGN
15/07    DIVISION SIGN

Those two characters were added mainly out of the fear that individual vendors
would use the positions for non-interchangeable and incompatible purposes,
thus defeating the idea of the standard.  The two symbols chosen were more
or less a compromise from a large list of eligible characters.

ISO Latin-1 (IS 8859/1) is actually one of an entire family of eight-bit
one-byte character sets, all having ASCII on the left hand side, and with
varying repertoires on the right hand side:

Pt 1.   Latin Alphabet No 1  (caters to Western Europe - now approved)
Pt 2.   Latin Alphabet No 2  (caters to Eastern Europe - now approved)
Pt 3.   Latin Alphabet No 3  (caters to SE Europe + others - in draft ballot)
Pt 4.   Latin Alphabet No 4  (caters to Northern Europe - in draft ballot)
Pt 5.   Latin-Cyrillic alphabet  (right half all Cyrillic - processing
                                   currently suspended pending USSR input)
Pt 6.   Latin-Arabic alphabet    (right half all Arabic - now approved)
Pt 7.   Latin-Greek alphabet     (right half Greek + symbols - in draft ballot)
Pt 8.   Latin-Hebrew alphabet    (right half Hebrew + symbols - proposed)

I expect to update this list shortly, because next week I'm attending the
meeting of the ISO Working Group concerned with these standards is being held.
(ISO TC97/SC2/WG3 for those that can decipher that.)

Regarding DEC Multinational:  The development of DEC Multinational
preceded the original ISO drafts, which largely explains the differences.
It was actually ECMA, the European Computer Manufacturers Association, who
first proposed a eight-bit, one-byte code table similar to what became
ISO Latin-1 today.

===================================
Tim Lasko  Digital Equipment Corporation  Maynard, MA
(video!lasko@dec.COM <-- boy I hope that's right...)

========
I've subscribed to the ECMA International Register of character standards.

If you would like to receive the International Register, write to ECMA,
Registration Authority for ISO 2375, Rue du Rhone 114, CH-1204 GENEVA,
Switzerland, and ask for it (it's free of charge). It starts with a bunch
of papers describing over 100 different standards for Latin, Cyrillic,
Arabic, Chinese and Japanese characters, as well as a some semi-graphics.
They also send out updates.

Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170
UUCP: andersa@kuling.UUCP (...!{seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!andersa)
--
UUCP:  ... !mnetor!lsuc!maccs!gordan              BITNET: GP@TANDEM
     "Eschew obfuscation"                          Gordan Palameta

fortin@iros1.UUCP (07/31/87)

In article <968@geac.UUCP> chris@geac.UUCP (Chris Syed) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a good canadien-francais/english computing dictionary?

En fait, il en existe plusieurs qui sont assez mauvais!

A tout hasard, je te mentionne l'ouvrage suivant:

	"Terminologie de l'informatique" de la Banque de terminologie
	du Quebec (Office de la langue francaise).  Publie a Quebec
	en 1983.  (ISBN 2-551-05790-6)

Il devrait etre disponible a l'adresse suivante:

	Ministere des Communications
	Diffusion des publications
	Case postale 1005
	Quebec, QC
	G1K 7B5

Le livre en question contient aussi un tas de references a d'autres
ouvrages.

					Denis, fortin@iros1.uucp