[can.francais] Translation job in Waterloo

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (08/06/87)

In article <854@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>We're looking for somebody to do some translation of user guides, tutorials,
>Anybody out there with a knowledge of Ontario style french and programming
				       --------------------

Uh, if you're refering to an Ontario dialect or accent you
certainly don't want it written into your manuals! Dialect and
accent are mostly spoken differences in language, or use of idiom
and local specialization (eg differences in fishing terminology between
St. John's Nfld and Victoria B.C.)
Translation of technical material is done in "Standard French" which will
be understood by anyone who knows the language (ie correct French).
What you appear to be asking for is like saying "translate this manual into
cockney for us.." And this for the board of Ed. yet ...

--
Gideon Sheps
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !

jbergeron@watvlsi.UUCP (08/06/87)

In article <1987Aug6.012018.10157@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Gideon Sheps) writes:

>In article <854@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>We're looking for somebody to do some translation of user guides, tutorials,
>>Anybody out there with a knowledge of Ontario style french and programming
>				       --------------------
>
>Uh, if you're refering to an Ontario dialect or accent you
>certainly don't want it written into your manuals!

Je crois qu'il faisait plutot reference au francais Nord-Americain.
Ce qui est TRES different du francais europeen. Et surtout en ce qui
concerne le vocabulaire informatique... (une bogue... bbeeuurkkk!! :-)

---

"On avait une belle ecole avec une soeur au milieu... une grande noire soeur...
Elle avait une corneille sur la tete qui arretait pas de dire CROIT CROIT CROIT"
	- Sol, Comment la Grande Noire Soeur devint la Belle Trop Mince.

brad@looking.UUCP (08/07/87)

In article <1987Aug6.012018.10157@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Gideon Sheps) writes:

>>Anybody out there with a knowledge of Ontario style french and programming
>
>Uh, if you're refering to an Ontario dialect or accent you
>certainly don't want it written into your manuals! Dialect and
>accent are mostly spoken differences in language, or use of idiom
>and local specialization (eg differences in fishing terminology between
>St. John's Nfld and Victoria B.C.)

Well, I'm told by the Ministry of Education that such a language exists,
and that they want it used for texts used in Ontario Schools.

I know that Quebecois French and that used in France do differ quite
a bit, particularly when it comes to technical terms.  Perhaps
les Franco-Ontariens prefer to use or not use certain words
popular with les Quebecois.

Does anybody know?  I have to find out.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473