[can.francais] ISO Latin 1

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (08/07/87)

In article <5189@utcsri.UUCP> flaps@utcsri.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>The ISO Latin 1 standard is based on this idea... it claims to work for
>Danish, Dutch, English, Faeroese, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic,
>Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish (as used in
>specific countries.. I won't bother with the country list as it is longer).
>
> [list of various characters applicable to French]

A description of a preliminary version of ISO Latin 1 was given in the
August 1985 issue of BYTE magazine (on page 26, in the Letters section).

I believe that the ISO Latin 1 standard as officially adopted in February 1987
corresponds exactly to this table, with the only difference being positions
13/07 and 15/07, previously unused, are assigned to the multiplication sign
and division sign respectively.

In a nutshell, the first 128 characters of ISO Latin 1 are US ASCII; the next
32 are non-printing "control"-type characters; the next 32 are various
punctuation and special characters (cent sign, pound symbol, yen symbol,
copyright symbol, upside down ! and ? for Spanish, etc), and the final 64
are Western European accented letters for the most part.

Apparently, ISO Latin 1 is part of a family of 8-bit ASCII standards.  Other
standards include one for Eastern European characters, one for Arabic, etc.
I think they all share US ASCII as the first 128 characters in the set.

--
UUCP:  ... !mnetor!lsuc!maccs!gordan              BITNET: GP@TANDEM
"Sumasshedshii vsekh stran, soyedinyaites'"        Gordan Palameta

gordan@maccs.UUCP (Gordan Palameta) (08/08/87)

In article <700@maccs.UUCP> I write:

>A description of a preliminary version of ISO Latin 1 was given in the
>August 1985 issue of BYTE magazine (on page 26, in the Letters section).

Tim Lasko has just posted a description of ISO Latin 1 in
comp.std.internat   (message ID  <11292@decwrl.DEC.COM> ).

I mention this for the benefit of anyone who might be interested but does
not subscribe to that newsgroup.