[can.francais] Translation

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (08/08/87)

In article <3661@watvlsi.waterloo.edu> jbergeron@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (Janick Bergeron) writes:
>In article <1987Aug6.012018.10157@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Gideon Sheps) writes:
>>
>>In article <854@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>>We're looking for somebody to do some translation of user guides, tutorials,
>>>Anybody out there with a knowledge of Ontario style french and programming
>>                                     --------------------
>>
>>Uh, if you're refering to an Ontario dialect or accent you
>>certainly don't want it written into your manuals!
>
>Je crois qu'il faisait plutot reference au francais Nord-Americain.
>Ce qui est TRES different du francais europeen. Et surtout en ce qui
>concerne le vocabulaire informatique... (une bogue... bbeeuurkkk!! :-)

NO, in fact in followup information sent to a friend of mine who asked
about the job, he stressed the distinction between Ontario French and
Quebec French - ie the translation had to be into Ontario French [sic].

Standard French is NOT European French [only snobs, my friend says, assume
that]. Standard French is TV, Book, report, French. The French they teach
is language class, the emphasis is on universal understanding.
Besides, what is European French ? The famed "Paris French", Belgian French
Swiss French (several varieties of it). Standard French will be understood
by all of these groups. Besides, most of these differences are spoken, not
written. "regionalisms" or accents are written into literature, but not
into technical manuals.
After all we don't write English textbooks in standard Ontario teenager
lingo do we?
"Like you take the um y'know (CHEW CHEW CHEW) case statment and y'like
 put the uh whatchamacallit uh choices after the ..."

 translated as...

 "Bon tu prends le, t'sais la,(MACHE, MACHE, MACHE) le "case statement" pis
 la tu fas comme t'sais mettre le , comment t'appelles ca deja, ..."

>"On avait une belle ecole avec une soeur au milieu... une grande noire soeur...
>Elle avait une corneille sur la tete qui arretait pas de dire CROIT CROIT CROIT"
>       - Sol, Comment la Grande Noire Soeur devint la Belle Trop Mince.

She [my friend] would like to know where (what book or record) you got this
from , and where she can find his work in Toronto.
--
Gideon Sheps
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !