[can.francais] translations

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (08/08/87)

In article <860@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <1987Aug6.012018.10157@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Gideon Sheps) writes:
>>

>>Uh, if you're refering to an Ontario dialect or accent you
>>certainly don't want it written into your manuals! Dialect and
>>accent are mostly spoken differences in language, or use of idiom
>>and local specialization (eg differences in fishing terminology between
>>St. John's Nfld and Victoria B.C.)
>
>Well, I'm told by the Ministry of Education that such a language exists,
>and that they want it used for texts used in Ontario Schools.
>
>I know that Quebecois French and that used in France do differ quite
>a bit, particularly when it comes to technical terms.  Perhaps
>les Franco-Ontariens prefer to use or not use certain words
>popular with les Quebecois.
>
>Does anybody know?  I have to find out.

Ottawa maintains databanks of official technical translations , those are
edited periodically to keep up with new technologies as the need arise.
In Quebec, where the need usually arises quicker L'Office de la Langue
Francaise invents, creates and adapts accepted terminology that is then used
in government and industry. This terminology is then used in Ottawa and I
assumed in Ontario since it would seem redundant to invent new terminology
just for the use in Ontario.  Beside creating a problem in communication,
there is no equivalent of the Office de la Langue Francaise in Ontario.
A problem arises with trans-Atlantic translation.  Just as Brits say lift
and lorry where an American would say elevator and truck, sometimes words
that had different evolution on both sides of the Atlantic, as is the case
with new technologies, will be different and one has to be mindful
of one's audience.
To return to the point, there should not be a significant difference between
Ontario terminology and that of Quebec.

By the way, I do not want to hog the net with this discussion, ( I am only
a parasite). If you wish to respond, please mail to me c/o this address.
Guylaine Petrin

--
Gideon Sheps
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !