[can.francais] Nationhood

dre@myrias.UUCP (Duane Eitzen) (12/21/88)

The language laws of Quebec brought an interesting question to mind:

  Why are Quebec and the other provinces in the same country?

Possible answers:
	Common belief in multiculturalism
		The new language laws seem to contradict this. Many Quebecois have
		clearly stated this wish to assimilate immigrants into the french
		speaking culture.
	Defence
		Defence is now international (i.e. NATO) unlike when
		Canada was formed. I see no need (now) for nationhood
		based on defence concerns.
	Economics
		Unlike when the country was formed, international trade
		seems to work rather well, and will be getting much much
		better. Certainly no nationhood is required to share access
		to our markets. 1992 sounds alot like what Quebec wants:
		remove economic boundries but maintain seperate cultures,
		seperate laws etc. In	fact, Quebec seems to want things it
		couldn't get as an independant nation in 1992: such as
		complete control over immigration.
  Hockey
		Well ... ok.
	History and Nostalgia
		I believe that we MUST be able to justify the way we do
		things based on the current situation. I accept that there
		are people who disagree.

If trying to stuff Quebec and the rest of Canada in to a harmonous
nation is so difficult and painfull (and unsuccessful after over
one hundred years) why do we try?

I am not trying to be rhetorical, I would be very happy if a Quebecois
presented good reason for wanting Quebec to be in a union with the
rest of Canada.

dre.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/21/88)

I think it is history, and the belief that sundering the country would
be a bad precedent, aside from the fact that it would split the maritimes
from the rest.

The real reason is, of course, the battle on the Plains of Abraham.

But I tell you that today I feel that a province that would be willing
to use the abominable notwithstanding clause to dictate signs doesn't
sound like it should be in Canada.  If most Quebecois support this sort
of thing, then they simply don't have the same vision of a free nation
that I, and many others have.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

riehm@maccs.McMaster.CA (Carl Riehm) (12/24/88)

In article <727@myrias.UUCP> dre@myrias.UUCP (Duane Eitzen) writes:
>If trying to stuff Quebec and the rest of Canada in to a harmonous
>nation is so difficult and painfull (and unsuccessful after over
>one hundred years) why do we try?

Can anyone seriously think that Quebec could become independent without
a civil war of some kind?  It is a mistake for Canadians to think that we
are so dull or enlightened that we are incapable of bloodshed.  We are in
this together and we have to try to make it work if only because the
alternatives are even worse.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (12/25/88)

In article <1742@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
>In article <727@myrias.UUCP> dre@myrias.UUCP (Duane Eitzen) writes:
>>If trying to stuff Quebec and the rest of Canada in to a harmonous
>>nation is so difficult and painfull (and unsuccessful after over
>>one hundred years) why do we try?
>
>Can anyone seriously think that Quebec could become independent without
>a civil war of some kind?  It is a mistake for Canadians to think that we

Why not?

They don't want us!

We don't want them!

Seems like there would be a race to see whether they could seceed faster
than we could kick them out :-)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (12/25/88)

In article <2063@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:

>They don't want us!
>
>We don't want them!
>
>Seems like there would be a race to see whether they could seceed faster
>than we could kick them out :-)
>
>--
>Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

I hope you had intended smiley's at the end of each of the above
statements.  If so, they're not particularly funny, and if not, well,
it makes me sad to see that being Canadian (whatever it means) means so
little to you (or to Quebecois who may actually share the sentiments).

As depressing and annoying as the language issue currently is,
nationhood is measured in timescales that transcend little hills and
valleys like this.  In the nation that I understand Canada to be,
Quebec is exactly as important a part as any other socio-geographic
area in Canada you'd care to mention.  In the long run (i.e., in the
geologic time I referred to earlier), the fundamental split in Canada
that must be resolved is not primarily linguistic; it is over the
extent to which big dollars will be allowed to change our values.
There are some that argue that "Free Trade" is a back-door way for
Quebec to separate, but that's another issue.  I mean something more
basic and much less devious that we're all going to have to work out,
regardless of language.
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project

charlesv@auvax.UUCP (Charles van Duren) (12/27/88)

In article <2063@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
> In article <1742@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
> >In article <727@myrias.UUCP> dre@myrias.UUCP (Duane Eitzen) writes:
> >
> >Can anyone seriously think that Quebec could become independent without
> >a civil war of some kind?  It is a mistake for Canadians to think that we
>

> Why not?
>
> They don't want us!
>
> We don't want them!

What's the next line in this argument?

Oh yeah? Says who?

Says me! Wanna make something of it?

Who are "they?". Who are "us?". This is exactly the kind of simple-minded
attitude that exacerbates the whole language (rights) situation. "Us" includes
French linguistic minorities in most other provinces who have a direct interest
in the outcome. "Them" includes an English speaking minority with an even
greater interest. Canada does not separate that easily into two unilingual or
uni-cultural units. That's what the whole problem is all about. Recognizing
Quebec as a distinct society ignores this aspect of the problem. Unfortunately,
in many parts of Canada, tolerance of the linguistic rights of French
minorities is as great as that demonstrated by the Quebec National Assembly for
those of Quebec's English-speaking minority. This is generally manifested in
funding for education, etc.

It has to be recognized that the French-English problem did not start with
Trudeau and official bilingualism, nor did it start with the P.Q. and modern
assertions of Quebec separatism. This is true in the same sense that the
"troubles" in Northern Ireland did not start in the early '70s, and will not
be solved by the simple expedient of unification. Canada is a political entity,
built on compromise and accomodation. Bourassa's catering to narrow political
interests in Quebec is reprehensible. So, however, is the attitude in Alberta
for instance, that a large cultural group such as the Ukranians gets no special
rights, so why should a tiny (30,000) group like the French?

If "them" and "us" were easily identifiable the problem might not exist. Trying
to reduce the problem in order to make it go away is a simplistic attitude that
has no place in this discussion.

Charles van Duren
TIP Project, Athabasca University
alberta!auvax!charlesv

jimr@hcr.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (12/28/88)

In article <823@auvax.UUCP> charlesv@auvax.UUCP writes:
>............................................................Unfortunately,
>in many parts of Canada, tolerance of the linguistic rights of French
>minorities is as great as that demonstrated by the Quebec National Assembly for
>those of Quebec's English-speaking minority. This is generally manifested in
>funding for education, etc.
>.
>.
>.................................. Bourassa's catering to narrow political
>interests in Quebec is reprehensible. So, however, is the attitude in Alberta
>for instance, that a large cultural group such as the Ukranians gets no special
>rights, so why should a tiny (30,000) group like the French?

This is hardly a fair comparison. Allowing bilingual signs is a
passive act.  The government does not have to lift a finger or spend
a penny in order for this right to be "permitted". And, even more
importantly, we are talking about what virtually any other
democratic nation would call a *fundamental* right.

On the other hand, funding for eductaion, etc requires money. You
are now asking people to divert money that is badly needed for
underfunded and overcrowded hospitals and universities so that what
is often no more than 5% of the population may be able to enjoy
part of their existence in their mother tongue.

It is true that Quebec Anglos do have their own institutions.
However, in my mind this is not even close to being a substitute for
as precious a right as freedom of expression; a right enjoyed by
every minority group in every part of the country except Quebec.

J.B. Robinson

charlesv@auvax.UUCP (Charles van Duren) (01/05/89)

In article <4399@hcr.UUCP>, jimr@hcr.UUCP (Jim Robinson) writes:
> In article <823@auvax.UUCP> charlesv@auvax.UUCP writes:
> >............................................................Unfortunately,
> >in many parts of Canada, tolerance of the linguistic rights of French
> >minorities is as great as that demonstrated by the Quebec National Assembly for
> >those of Quebec's English-speaking minority. This is generally manifested in
> >funding for education, etc.
> >.
> >.
> >.................................. Bourassa's catering to narrow political
> >interests in Quebec is reprehensible. So, however, is the attitude in Alberta
> >for instance, that a large cultural group such as the Ukranians gets no special
> >rights, so why should a tiny (30,000) group like the French?
>
> This is hardly a fair comparison. Allowing bilingual signs is a
> passive act.  The government does not have to lift a finger or spend
> a penny in order for this right to be "permitted". And, even more
> importantly, we are talking about what virtually any other
> democratic nation would call a *fundamental* right.

Fundamental rights are not only so by virtue of being defined in law. I was
talking about attitudes to minority fundamental rights. What's the difference
between the torching of the Alliance Quebec headquarters and the death threats
against Athabasca-Lac La Biche MLA Leo Piquette for asserting his right to
speak in French in the Alberta Legislature (on a matter of French-language
education in Alberta)? Laws providing for minority language rights mean very
little if those who assert those rights get fire-bombed or threatened with
death. Adequate funding for facilities for minority language groups does not
follow directly from laws guaranteeing those rights. A necessary factor is
the public acceptance of those rights. The exercising of a *fundamental*
right is very different from having such a right guaranteed.

The point is that laws by themselves guarantee very little. What is the use
of allowing bilingual signs if they provoke vandalism and arson? If you
guarantee the right, but cannot guarantee that it may be exercised freely
or safely, what have you guaranteed? Bill 101 could not guarantee the
existence of French culture in Quebec, regardless of some Quebecois sentiment.
Neither can the Supreme Court decision guarantee that minority language
rights can be exercised. That is the issue.

Charles van Duren					/* Home of the largest, cleanest kraft
TIP Project, Athabasca University   /* mill in the world (proposed) that will
Athabasca, Alberta				    /* absolutely NOT pollute! (Don Getty)