[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] How to change speed on neat voice|gag program

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (01/08/88)

In article <8240001@hpccc.HP.COM> kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) writes:
>Would you be willing to share your findings as to the byte locations of
>the delay number?  Several of us here would be interested in using DEBUG
>to modify this delay value.

I had not run this program yet, but this posting piqued my interest in it.
I'm no expert on digital sampling, but I know a delay loop when I see one :-).
It turns out that there is a subroutine at $7688 that is called repeatedly
to output the digitized data. It consists of a string of 10 NOP statements
followed by what is basically an OUT statement.

I wrote a little debug script to replace the NOPs by a LOOP statement. Just
download the following to your PC and filter it through DEBUG by typing
"debug < help.txt". What it does is read in your "helpme.com" program, make
the necessary changes, and write it back out as "help.com". I fiddled with
the loop counter and found that values around 8 or 9 worked best on my
computer (AT&T PC6300 w/ V30 at 8 MHz). Your mileage may vary. Let me know
if this works out (or doesn't :-).

						Jim Greenlee

---------------------- cut here for HELP.TXT ---------------------------
n helpme.com
a7688
push cx
mov cx,0008	;adjust this value to change the speed
nop
loop 768c
pop cx

n help.com
--
The Shadow...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!