[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Moria sources on simtel20.arpa

awr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Bruce Rossiter) (01/27/88)

len@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) writes:
>relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
>>Has anyone had any success downloading the moria.arc file from simtel20.arpa
>>in the pd1:<msdos.games> directory?  We can't unarc it once we get it, as
>>the archive seems to be corrupted.  I am using an 8 bit transfer in ftp.
>
>I am having the same problem with a unix system here with any of the arc'd
>material.  My local wizards do not understand the problem.  Any help?

"An" 8 bit transfer.  Which one?  Tenex or Binary?  What kind of machine are
you using?  The following info is taken from  SIMTEL-ARCHIVES.INFO  - a file
*everyone* using simtel20 should read.  If this doesn't help, send me mail
and I'll try to help you further.  I transferred the moria files with no
problems.....

---------------------------Begin included text----------------------------

FILE TYPES
[....]  All binary data are
stored as four 8-bit bytes per 36-bit SIMTEL20 word, with the low-order
four bits of each word filled with zeros.  If such a file is
interpreted as a contiguous string, as will happen if a straight binary
transfer is made to a 16 or 32-bit UNIX machine, the four zero filler-
bits per 36-bit group will cause rather bizarre and frustrating
results.

FILE TRANSFER VIA FTP
[....]
Users of TOPS-10, TENEX, TOPS-20 or ITS systems can use "image" or
"paged" mode for ALL transfers.  UNIX users must use "ascii" mode for
ASCII files, and "type tenex" or "type L 8" mode for binary files.

----------------------------End included text-----------------------------

If you are on a MULTICS system, this file also contains a lengthy
example on how to transfer binary files.

						-Bruce

--------
"Look out the left, the captain said             :: awr@tybalt.caltech.edu
 The lights down there, that's where we'll land. :: bruce@caltech.BITNET
 I saw a falling star burn up                    :: {amdahl,rutgers}!cit-vax!
 Above the Las Vegas sands."     - Joni Mitchell ::    tybalt.caltech.edu!awr

dsrich@engr.uky.edu (Dave Richardson) (01/28/88)

In article <4359@uwmcsd1.UUCP> len@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) writes:
>In article <600@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) writes:
>>Has anyone had any success downloading the moria.arc file from simtel20.arpa
>I am having the same problem with a unix system here with any of the arc'd
>material.  My local wizards do not understand the problem.  Any help?

Are you all using "tenex" mode for download? I've had to use that for simtel20.
Binary mode gives me garbage. "TYPE L 8" is the command to simtel20.  I realize
that that is 8 bit, but is it the same?  (Wizard I ain't.)

					Dave

Dave Richardson
ARPANET: dsrich@engr.uky.edu
CSNET: dsrich@engr.uky.csnet
UUCP: !{rutgers, uunet, cbosgd}!ukma!ukecc!dsrich

steven@uicsgva.UUCP (01/28/88)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'eight bit.'  SIMTEL20 I think is a TOPS-20 DEC
something or other which uses 36 bit words.  (anybody else know?)
What I do know is that you need to type 'tenex' before dowloading.

dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) (01/30/88)

After reading the message about Simtel20's Moria being corrupted, I FTPed
it (using tenex), Kermited it from my Vax to my Compaq AT, and unARCed it.
It ran perfectly, no hitches.  So, as the recent Re: Moria" messages
have been suggesting, the problem lies in using the correct transfer
protocols.  The Moria files themselves are absolutely fine.
Dominik Wujastyk

--
bitnet:	 user DOW on the bitnet node HARVUNXW
arpanet: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu

w8sdz@eddie.MIT.EDU (Keith Petersen) (02/01/88)

You MUST use the tenex mode (same as TYPE L 8) when FTPing binary(8)
files from SIMTEL20.  This sorts out the differences in word size between
hosts.  SIMTEL20 is a 36-bit machine.

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (02/03/88)

In article <8021@eddie.MIT.EDU>, w8sdz@eddie.MIT.EDU (Keith Petersen) writes:
> You MUST use the tenex mode (same as TYPE L 8) when FTPing binary(8)
> files from SIMTEL20.  This sorts out the differences in word size between
> hosts.  SIMTEL20 is a 36-bit machine.

All this talk of how to access simtel and moria is great BUT

I do not have a modem on my machine and access news ;through our
vax 785.  Yes, we do have modem capabilities on the vax BUT they have
been withdrawn from lowly users like myself

I would dearly like to get the pc-moria source.

email me with helpful hints or constructive suggestions please.

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!