[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] ROGUE FORWARDER

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/18/88)

I posted binaries to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, and I received reports that
some of them appeared in comp.sys.ibm.pc.

I am posting this article to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  It appears that
there is at least one site that is somehow causing things posted here
to appear in comp.sys.ibm.pc.  My theory is that this site thinks that
comp.binaries.ibm.pc is moderated, and is forwarding posted articles to
Brandon Alberry, who presumably has his software set up to forward
incoming postings to comp.sys.ibm.pc.

If you see this article appear in comp.sys.ibm.pc, please mail me a
copy of its headers.  Perhaps we can track down the errant site from
the intersection of several return paths and contact its postmaster.

If this article appears in comp.binaries.ibm.pc, please ignore it.  In
any case, follow-ups to comp.sys.ibm.pc please.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/27/88)

In article <479@ruby.TEK.COM> rjg@ruby.UUCP (Richard J. Greco) writes:
>I think the problem is harder then you think.  On my news feed SOME of
>the posted binaries wind up in comp.sys.ibm.pc and some of them wind
>up in the binaries group.

The problem has been located.  When Brandon Alberry stepped down as
moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc, he asked the backbones to make
"comp.binaries.ibm.pc" an alias to "comp.sys.ibm.pc".  Apparently this
alias still existed on some sites.  Articled posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, when they passed through such sites, moved to
comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Depending on speed of propagation, an article might move through such a
site first, or through a different site first.  So it would appear in
one or the other newsgroup depending on the path it took getting to
you.  This is possible because there is some redundancy in the
network.

The backbones were sent a message by hao!woods (Greg Woods) requesting
that the alias be removed.  The problem should be fixed already.

This article is cross-posted to both comp.binaries.ibm.pc and
comp.sys.ibm.pc.  If it appears only in comp.sys.ibm.pc when you see
it, then the problem is still not fixed.  (However, follow-ups are
directed to comp.sys.ibm.pc only.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi