[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] uudecode for EGA monitor

echan@deepthot.UUCP (Eddie CHan) (03/01/88)

I have a copy of uudecode which works on my IBM PC clone with a Hercules
compatible but it doesn't work on IBM's CGA or EGA. Do I need a different
version of uudecode? Or I just need to set some parameters on the machine?

Thankx in advance.

Edwin Chan @ U.W.O.

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (03/03/88)

In article <1070@deepthot.UUCP> echan@deepthot.UUCP (Eddie CHan) writes:
>I have a copy of uudecode which works on my IBM PC clone with a Hercules
>compatible but it doesn't work on IBM's CGA or EGA. Do I need a different
>version of uudecode? Or I just need to set some parameters on the machine?

It sounds like you have the Turbo Pascal 3.0 version of uudecode.  TP
3.0 allowed you to compile for monochrome, color, or "default"
screens.  If you did things right, you compiled for "default" and
hoped that the machine was close enough to IBM for TP to recognize the
screen type.  Unfortunately, a lot of people set the type in TINST to
be "mono" or "color" instead of default, and output will only go to
that device.  If they distributed code compiled like that, it would
give the results you mention.

Unless you have the source and can recompile (it sounds like you
don't), you need a different version.  If you have the source,
recompile it with TP set to "default", or under 4.0 which doesn't use
the same I/O routines.

jim

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (03/03/88)

In article <1070@deepthot.UUCP> echan@deepthot.UUCP (Eddie CHan) writes:
>I have a copy of uudecode which works on my IBM PC clone with a Hercules
>compatible but it doesn't work on IBM's CGA or EGA. Do I need a different
>version of uudecode? Or I just need to set some parameters on the machine?

Huh?!?  I fail to see what UUDECODE has to do with the kind of display adapter
you have installed.

If it really is a UNIX-compatible UUDECODE, it is a filter which reads an
encoded file and writes the decoded file according to the information in the
first line of the encoded file. Conversely, UUENCODE reads any file (usually
used for binary files) and writes it out encoded in 7-bit ASCII, with some
file info in the first line.

Even when UUENCODE's output goes to the screen (standard output), it's just
straight text, about 64 characters per line, and should not be affected by
what display card you have.

UUDECODE's output NEVER goes to the screen, if it's working right.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp