[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] DMGBBS unarcing problems

eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) (03/06/88)

Has anyone else had problems unarcing the DMGBBS files
posted a while ago? Nobody seems to be mentioning it
in this group, but maybe I missed a repost... When I
clean up, concatenate, and uudecode the files I get
the file (dmgbbs.arc)
When I try to unarc it it gets the first file
DMGBBS.EXE   296??? bytes blah blah blah....
>>An entry in dmgbbs.arc has a bad header<<   Here's where it dies-
it just hangs up...
Is my arc program too old or is there really a problem
with this archive?

   Thanks!

	...decvax!yale!spock!eric
(203)281-0690

uggrenon@sunybcs.uucp (Paul Grenon) (03/07/88)

In article <309@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:

>Has anyone else had problems unarcing the DMGBBS files
>posted a while ago? Nobody seems to be mentioning it
>in this group, but maybe I missed a repost... When I
>clean up, concatenate, and uudecode the files I get
>the file (dmgbbs.arc)

Yes, I had trouble unarcing dmgbbs too.
A repost would be much appreciated (if others have had the same problem).

Paul J Grenon	(PJ)                		SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
internet: uggrenon@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: uggrenon@sunybcs.BITNET
csnet: uggrenon@buffalo.CSNET
uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!uggrenon

tsf@arizona.edu (Ted Frohling @ CCIT-Telcommunications, University of Arizona) (03/08/88)

Yes, it was created with pkarc which has to be used to un-arc it.  Two of
the archives were corrupt here.  Please repost!
--
Ted Frohling                               Internet: tsf@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu
Network Support                            BITNET:   tsf@arizrvax.BITNET

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/08/88)

I have been getting a few notes as to the fact that the DMGBBS is not
unarcing correctly. I am in the process of checking out our local site
and seeing if it was put on the system correctly.

The program was first uuencoded with the local utility on the pyramid.'
Second, it was split into 1000 line groups
Then it was inserted into the newsgroup.

On the PC, it was arc'ed using PKARC.COM version 3.5 if that helps out
any.

Which files of the three were bad, or was it all three? Also, has anyone
out there managed to successfully pull it apart?

Marcos Della

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (03/08/88)

Re: de-ARCing problems with DMGBBS

Here's the output from PKXARC (3.5) when using the /t (for testing) flag:

* 6:50:55 D:\ZZ dir

 Volume in drive D is HARROLD-DAT
  Directory of  D:\ZZ

  .            <DIR>      8-31-87  10:34a
  ..           <DIR>      8-31-87  10:34a
  DMGBBS   TXT     6394   3-04-88  12:51p
  DMGBBS   ARC   266824   3-04-88   1:02p
  DMGFILES ARC   152823   3-04-88   1:08p
  DMGSETUP ARC    26980   3-04-88   1:10p
	  6 File(s)   2846720 bytes free

  * 6:50:58 D:\ZZ pkxarc /t *

  PKXARC    FAST!    Archive Extract Utility    Version 3.5    04-27-87
  Copyright (c) 1986,1987 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. PKXARC/h for help

  Searching: DMGBBS.ARC
  Testing: BBS.EXE       Warning!  file BBS.EXE fails CRC check.
  Testing: 4z?&B p%YFbQ  Warning!  file 4z?&B p%YFbQ fails CRC check.
  DMGBBS.ARC is not an archive.

  Searching: DMGFILES.ARC
  Testing: BATTLEIN.TXT  Ok
  Testing: BATTLELO.TXT  Ok
  Testing: BATTLEML.TXT  Ok
  Testing: BATTLEWN.TXT  Ok
  Testing: BULLETIN.MNU  Ok
  Testing: BULLETIN.TXT  Ok
  Testing: CAVE0.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE1.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE2.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE3.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE4.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE5.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE6.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE7.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE8.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVE9.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVEA.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CAVEB.DMG     Ok
  Testing: CHATBASE.TXT  Ok
  Testing: CONTRIB.TXT   Ok
  Testing: FILESECT.TXT  Ok
  Testing: FUNCTION.TXT  Ok
  Testing: HELP.TXT      Ok
  Testing: HELP01.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP02.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP03.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP04.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP05.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP06.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP07.TXT    Ok
  Testing: HELP08.TXT    Ok
  Testing: KENO.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB1.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB2.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB3.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB4.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB5.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB6.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIB7.TXT      Warning!  file LIB7.TXT fails CRC check.
  Testing: LIB9.TXT      Ok
  Testing: LIBRARY.TXT   Ok
  Testing: MOVIES.TXT    Ok
  Testing: NEWUSER.TXT   Ok
  Testing: NODELIST.BBS  Warning!  file NODELIST.BBS fails CRC check.
  Testing: OFFLINE.TXT   Warning!  file OFFLINE.TXT fails CRC check.
  Testing: 4T\}:TIt]  4T\}:TIt] has an invalid decode tree.
  DMGFILES.ARC is not an archive.

  Searching: DMGSETUP.ARC
  Testing: DMGSETUP.PAS  Ok
  Testing: SINIT1.INC    Ok
  Testing: SINIT2.INC    Ok
  Testing: SINIT3.INC    Ok
  Testing: SINIT4.INC    Ok
  Testing: SINIT5.INC    Ok
  Testing: SINIT6.INC    Ok

  As you can see DMGBBS,ARC and DMBFILES.ARC have problems; DMGSETUP is okay.

  Hope this helps.

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/09/88)

In article <309@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:
<
<Has anyone else had problems unarcing the DMGBBS files
<posted a while ago?

Yup - problems here (tektronix, major NW backbone site), too.

keith