[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Not Re: a TSR for PrtSc

tim@acich.UUCP (Tim Lowe) (03/17/88)

In article <6966@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
> And now for a commercial:  When I got into this group tonight, it had 10
> articles.  NONE were binaries.  None were code of any kind.

[some other good points deleted]

> But I also don't want to see this group become a spare
> copy of comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Here, here.  Some of us little sites have had to stop archiving
this group because of all of the (non-binary) noise.  I'm not
suggesting that these discussions aren't worthwhile: they are in
the wrong place (as is this one - let's move it to comp.sys.ibm.pc)

--
Tim L Lowe
Automated Concepts Inc.

jgray@toad.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (03/21/88)

In article <306@acich.UUCP>, tim@acich.UUCP (Tim Lowe) writes:
> In article <6966@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
> > And now for a commercial:  When I got into this group tonight, it had 10
> > articles.  NONE were binaries.  None were code of any kind.
>
> [some other good points deleted]
>
> > But I also don't want to see this group become a spare
> > copy of comp.sys.ibm.pc.
>
> Here, here.  Some of us little sites have had to stop archiving
> this group because of all of the (non-binary) noise.  I'm not
> suggesting that these discussions aren't worthwhile: they are in
> the wrong place (as is this one - let's move it to comp.sys.ibm.pc)

I see two basic problems here:

1)  Cross posting is generating a lot of this noise on
    comp.binaries.ibm.pc (CBIP for short) and I suspect that
    most people contributing are making automatic followup submissions
    without editing the news group line. Can anyone suggest a mechanism
    which would limit cross posting to some groups? (i.e. a filter that
    suppress submissions to CBIP if there more that one name in the
    (not CBIP) in the news group line (such as this posting).

2)  As I have said in a previous posting, some "flow control" messages are
    needed to support CBIP and comp.sys.ibm.pc has way to high a volumn of
    traffic to be practical for this (at least I can't keep up with it).
    I propose that we deal with the present YING (Yes It's Not Good) with
    YANG (Yet Another News Group) called comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d (or something
    like it) for all of the binary related articles.

					Jerrold L. Gray

UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!jgray

USNAIL:	10525 Willows Road N.E. /C-46
	Redmond, Wa.  98052
	(206) 881 - 6444 x470

Telex:  15-2167