[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Moderation... on comp.binaries.ibm.pc

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) (03/11/88)

In article <2310@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
:In article <149@tscs.UUCP> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:
:>There is a very definite need for moderation here!
:I volunteer to moderate again.  I'm sending a message to the backbones

Please leave it unmoderated!! The ratio of binaries to discussion has been
acceptably low, and the discussion has been  evenly balanced between
bug fixes and requests for stuff.  WHile moderated groups may have slightly
better-quality stuff (more man pages), there's a delay involved, and
moderation seems to inhibit posting.

If you want to be a "quasi-official archiver", great!  but not a moderator.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

vandys@hpindda.HP.COM (Andy Valencia) (03/12/88)

/ hpindda:comp.binaries.ibm.pc / wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) /  4:55 pm  Mar 10, 1988 /

----------

steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) (03/12/88)

in article <2054@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) says:

> Please leave it unmoderated!! The ratio of binaries to discussion has been
> acceptably low, and the discussion has been  evenly balanced between
> bug fixes and requests for stuff.  WHile moderated groups may have slightly
> better-quality stuff (more man pages), there's a delay involved, and
> moderation seems to inhibit posting.
>
> If you want to be a "quasi-official archiver", great!  but not a moderator.

   I agree... it seems like bit of an overreaction to me.  MEAN18 is
   the only pirated thing I've seen on here in the 4 months I've
   suscribed (one too many though) and 1 virus infected program that
   I've heard of (FLUSHOT2).  If the problem was rampant I'd agree to
   a moderator - as is i agree with Bill's posting.  The great majority
   of people on this particular net seem to be a little more responsible
   than found on an open BBS.  The reaction to MEAN18 was a good example
   of this.  Well, thats my two cents worth...

--
  Steve Cook
Hah... try to find me at {psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!steve

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (03/12/88)

In article <2054@ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <2310@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>:In article <149@tscs.UUCP> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:
>:>There is a very definite need for moderation here!
>:I volunteer to moderate again.  I'm sending a message to the backbones
>
>Please leave it unmoderated!! The ratio of binaries to discussion has been
>acceptably low, and the discussion has been  evenly balanced between

Maybe you haven't been getting all the postings.  The majority of articles
in this group have been discussions and requests which do NOT belong
in a binaries group but rather in comp.sys.ibm.pc.

>bug fixes and requests for stuff.  WHile moderated groups may have slightly
>better-quality stuff (more man pages), there's a delay involved, and

How many arc/pkarc programs have been posted in this group in the last
6 months?  It seems that every week another one is posted or there is a
lot of discussion about the previous one that was posted.  Moderation
would certainly cut out a lot of the needless duplication that goes on
in the binaries group.

>moderation seems to inhibit posting.

I do not understand why you feel that moderation inhibits posting.
Probably the only thing that is inhibited in the posting of "noisy"
aritcles or bad programs that do not properly belong in the group.  The
only inhibition is that it may make someone think a bit before they
start blasting off articles which don't belong in the group to which
they are being posted.

Yes there is a delay involved, but the payoff for that delay is a
higher quality newsgroup if the moderator is doing a good job, which
most of them do.  Being a moderator is not a fun job and I certainly
appreciate the effort that someone is willing to undertake in order to
keep a newsgroup in line with the purpose that it was established for.

I have added a Followup: line to get the discussion out of the binaries
group and into the groups where it properly belongs.
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   PHONE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:  davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com   or   ...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/14/88)

In article <2908@slovax.UUCP>, steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
> in article <2054@ho95e.ATT.COM>, wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) says
> > Please leave it unmoderated!! The ratio of binaries to discussion has been
> > acceptably low, and the discussion has been  evenly balanced between
> > bug fixes and requests for stuff.  While moderated groups may have slightly
> > better-quality stuff (more man pages), there's a delay involved, and
> > moderation seems to inhibit posting.
> > If you want to be a "quasi-official archiver", great!  but not a moderator.
>    I agree... it seems like bit of an overreaction to me.  MEAN18 is
>    the only pirated thing I've seen on here in the 4 months I've
>    suscribed (one too many though) and 1 virus infected program that
>    I've heard of (FLUSHOT2).  If the problem was rampant I'd agree to
>    a moderator - as is i agree with Bill's posting.  The great majority
>    of people on this particular net seem to be a little more responsible
>    than found on an open BBS.  The reaction to MEAN18 was a good example
>    of this.  Well, thats my two cents worth...

Oh I see, One virus program and one illegal (even though not
intentionally so) posting in four months is acceptable! I think not.

Please remember we're not talking about 1 BBS run by an individual who
is ultimately responsible for what is on the board. If he gets in
trouble his BBS goes away, he pays the piper and the buck stops there.
Any SYSOP who does not pre-screen postings and gets caught with pirate
software on line deserves what he gets.

Were dealing with a much bigger system. There are probably 10,000 illegal
copies of MEAN18 out there (I never got a cancel on them) even if 1% of
the net is irresponsible that's 100 pirate copies from one original
much more than the 1:9 ratio most companies say they expect. If the
owner of the software found out about that 10,000 number you bet they'd
sit up and take notice. One more incident like this has the potential
to destroy the entire network and land a LOT of people in court.
And just how many people did the FLUSHOT2 virus get? 10, 100, 1000 or
more? Just think if the Lehigh virus had been distributed on the net
how many dead hard disks would be out there now? We cannot afford this
dangerous situation.

Moderate now before it's too late!! Truly responsible site admins
should either be prepared to look at everything that is posted to
unmoderated binary and source groups or stop propogating them. Sure
there is still the problem that we'll have to rely on the
responsibility of the moderator and there will no doubt be forgeries
but I'd be more willing to take that chance than deal with the current danger.

Those more interested in getting scads of free software as fast as
possible protecting themselves from hackers and pirates should get out of the
regular distributions and form an alternate distribution. I'll suggest
a top level name of fools or suemenowavoidtherush
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

jim@helios.cs.odu.edu (Jim Duncan) (03/16/88)

In article <2054@ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <2310@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>:In article <149@tscs.UUCP> gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) writes:
>:>There is a very definite need for moderation here!
>:I volunteer to moderate again.  I'm sending a message to the backbones
>
>Please leave it unmoderated!! The ratio of binaries to discussion has been
>acceptably low, and the discussion has been  evenly balanced between
>bug fixes and requests for stuff.  WHile moderated groups may have slightly
>better-quality stuff (more man pages), there's a delay involved, and
>moderation seems to inhibit posting.
>
>#				Thanks;
># Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

I disagree.  I am more likely to post to a moderator than to the net for
several reasons, among them:

- A moderator will know if several essentially equivalent postings have
  occurred, and condense or limit the responses, so as to avoid redundant
  postings (e.g. the flagellation of the poster of MEAN18), and cut down on
  transmission costs.

- A moderator can ensure that we all get the most recent versions of software.

- A moderator can enforce the true purpose of the newsgroup, such as making
  sure that ONLY BINARIES ARE POSTED HERE (comp.binaries.ibm.pc), and
  discussion is re-routed to comp.sys.ibm.pc.

- A moderator can insulate us to some extent from silly crap, like obvious
  Trojan horses, viruses, or screwed-up postings that won't uudecode or
  de-arc properly.

I believe a moderator is a good idea.  I only wish I had the time to do it.
My heart and hopes go out to the poor soul who takes on this job.

	Jim Duncan

 Jim Duncan, Computer Science Dept, Old Dominion Univ, Norfolk VA 23529-0162
       (804)440-3915     INET: jim@cs.odu.edu    UUCP: ...!sun!xanth!jim
 ---------- Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas. ---------

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) (03/22/88)

There's been a lot of discussion of moderation, archive formats, etc.,
mostly in favor of it.  I contend that comp.binaries.ibm.pc runs well enough
without moderation, and that moderation will reduce the amount of useful
software posted here, though it will also reduce the amount of junk.

What is this newsgroup actually used for?  The major purpose for its
creation had been to separate general discussion from software postings.
This lets people who want software get it without wading through the immense
volume of comp.sys.ibm.pc, and people who want general discussion avoid
having to skip over uuencoded arc files.  As long as the volume is moderate,
it's reasonable for comp.binaries.ibm.pc (or some group like it) to carry
	- binaries and sources
	- bug reports and fixes, and other discussion *specifically related*
		to posted software.
	- brief requests for software
	- small amounts of meta-discussion, like "how do I read an arc file".
	- discussions related to running the group, like
		which arc to use and whether to moderate it.
In an unmoderated group, all these things will be together, which makes
archiving much easier!  Sure there will be more articles, but what you
really care about for archiving is megabytes, and the discussion doesn't
add much.

In article <4484@xanth.cs.odu.edu> jim@xanth.UUCP (Jim Duncan) writes:
>I believe a moderator is a good idea.  I only wish I had the time to do it.
>My heart and hopes go out to the poor soul who takes on this job.
	That's the point.  Even a *great* moderator, like r$, has to work
periodically; the backlog of unreleased comp.sources.unix postings is
pretty long, and he doesn't include most of the "bugs" discussions, which
goes on in other newsgroups.

>- A moderator can insulate us to some extent from silly crap, like obvious
>  Trojan horses, viruses, or screwed-up postings that won't uudecode or
>  de-arc properly.
	That's what contributes to much of the delay.  Brandon Allberry's
comp.sources.misc moderation lets a lot more through, and he's done a good
job of keeping turnaround up, but it takes time and effort to do a decent
job - how do you do real testing on binaries?  Sure, you can reject those
without useful ASCII documentation (sorry, but I really dislike postings
that leave all description of what they are *inside* the arc.)  But without
sources you can't do much more than  cursory sanity check.