[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] ARC vs ZOO

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (03/23/88)

In <278@syntron.UUCP> gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton) writes:
>To get back on track, SEA released sources to the net sometime ago
>which has allowed most UNIX machines to read, create and extract files
>from compatible archives, I know, I know, the compression isn't the
>greatest BUT at least, I can handle archives on my BSD and Venix boxes by
>using it.  Unfortunately, the author(s) of pkarc have not followed suit
>so no pkarc on UNIX machines and I don't see anyone using ZOO.

I put the sources to both arc and zoo on my SCO XENIX 286 system.  I
compiled both with maximum speed optimization and 286 code generation.
I tested the resulting binaries on archiving the kermit 2.30
distribution (sources, docs and all).

Zoo accomplished the task in 1/3 the time and the resulting file was 1%
smaller than when I put arc to the task.  I keep arc around to extract
stuff from the net, but I only use zoo for creating and maintaining
archives.

Of course, I have BETA instead of VHS due to BETA's technical
superiority.  This isn't worth much when *nobody* rents BETA tapes.
This seems to be yet another of those situations.  I have about as much
chance of getting everyone to use zoo as I have of getting you all to
buy BETA.	:-(

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (03/24/88)

Re: ZOO capabilities

A question for ZOO aficionados and gurus...

When zoo makes an archive of ASCII (text) files on, say, unix, and then the
archive is unzoo'd on an MSDOS machine, are the LF to CRLF translations
made?  And the ^Z delimiter appended?  And how about the reverse direction?

If it does this, how does it reliably AVOID this when a true BINARY file
is zoo'd?

Any info would be helpful.

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/30/88)

(Steve Harrold) writes:
| [...]
| When zoo makes an archive of ASCII (text) files on, say, unix, and then the
| archive is unzoo'd on an MSDOS machine, are the LF to CRLF translations
| made?  And the ^Z delimiter appended?  And how about the reverse direction?

  Although Rahul has mentioned doing this, at the moment files are not
converted. They are not converted by arc, either. The ^Z is an artifact
of DOS 1.x and is not required by many programs.

  The "todos" "fromdos" programs handle this fairly well on the UNIX
side, and many editors (such as MicroEMACS) will accept a file with just
newlines and write back a file as DOS wants it. I suspect that "todos"
would work if recompiled for DOS, also.

  I like zoo because it allows passing a whold directory structure, has
versions, etc, and runs 6-8 times faster than arc. In terms of just
getting things distributed, I have no problem with using whichever was
submitted, as long as it's not pkarc.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)