[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Binaries: ARC vs PKARC vs ZOO

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (04/07/88)

In article <230@unsvax.UUCP> tlhingan@unsvax.UUCP (Eugene Tramaglino) writes:
> I think that I would have no major objection to using ZOO as an archive
> format, IF it (the ZOO program) was made available IN ADVANCE of
> standardizing.  Why can't we simply send everyone a copy of ZOO?
> Note: I have not used ZOO.  I have used ARC and pkarc.

I have used all three and I am VERY impressed with ZOO.  Unlike ARC
which sort of evolved from the COMPRESS/LU/SQ days, Rahul designed
ZOO from the very beginning to be an extensible archiver to satisfy
today's requirements while remaining flexible enough to address
tomorrow's.  ZOO is *NOT* compatible with ARC, but then it was never
designed to be for very sound reasons.

In my opinion, ZOO will eventually prevail because of its technical
superiority.  However, whether or not comp.binaries.ibm.pc should
_start_ out ZOO-based is another story.  While ZOO is continually
being adopted by more and more universities and companies, it has
by no means reached "household word" status, and a great deal of
user education still needs to be accomplished.

I think a phased approach might make sense.  Start out with a 9-to-1
ARC-to-ZOO ratio and gradually, over, say twelve months, work towards
reversing that ratio.  All the while making sure that ZOO binaries
and portable sources are made as accessible as possible.

However, one source of potential trouble if Rahul is elected moderator
of comp.binaries.ibm.pc (which I think he should be) might be the
appearance of his "pushing" ZOO for personal, rather than technical,
reasons.  He did, after all, design and write it.  I'm not sure if
that can be prevented, but I feel the net is intelligent enough to
evaluate ZOO on its technical merits and respond accordingly.

> Personal Note: I cannot stand pkarc.  I prefer ARC's one (1) program
> that does the job just as well.  I don't like invoking different
> commands to 'v' an archive and 'e' an archive.

I don't like pk(x)arc either, but primarily because of the arrogance of
its author.  I have no problem with Phil Katz writing a set of fast ARC-
compatible utilities for the PC.  If he had done just that, he would be
in healthy competition with Vern Buerg and his set of fast ARCA, ARCE,
ARCV, and ARCF utilities, and everyone would benefit.

But, no.  Katz had to come up with an "improved" compression method that
only his programs could extract.  Then he had the arrogance to continue
calling them .ARC files, knowing full well that people using the more
prevalent SEA-compatible ARC programs would not be able to extract them.
Only after much user screaming did he provide a means of "turning off"
his new compression method.  Thanks a lot, Phil.

Vern Buerg, on the other hand, did it right.  His ARC utilities are 100%
compatible with SEA's ARC program, are blazing fast, and now they can
even extract Katz's damned "squashed" files.  Vern even goes so far as
to ask that donations be sent to SEA, not to himself.  Now that's class!

By the way, I handle the use of multiple, specialized ARC programs with
a single ARC.BAT file that essentially looks at the %1 parameter.  If
it's an "a" or "m" it builds a call to Buerg's ARCA127, if it's a "v"
it calls ARCV117, "e" or "x" calls ARCE31B, and anything else calls
ARC521.  Although the batch file is fairly straight forward, I'll be
happy to email a copy of it to anyone who wants it as a template for
their own.

I have no affiliation with Rahul Dhesi, SEA, or Vern Buerg other than
being a licensed user of ARC and a satisfied user of ZOO, ARCA, ARCE,
ARCV, and ARCF.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481