[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] SKY.ARC error

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (03/28/88)

After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"

Name          Length    Date
============  ========  =========
An entry in SKY.ARC has a bad header.
  46 bytes skipped.
        ====  ========
Total      0         0

Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need the 1st part of the uuencoded
files?

--

disclaimer:  The responsibility for my postings are mine and mine alone
             and NOT of the company I work for.

rcj@moss.ATT.COM (03/30/88)

In article <398@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
}After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
}when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"

I got the same error when I tried to look at the uudecoded archive
(I did it twice).  Then, when the second copy of part 2 arrived here,
I tried it again and still got the same error.

Could the original poster do some kind of diff on his end to try
and figure out which part is broken so the whole thing doesn't have
to be reposted?  I know that is asking a lot, but until we get a
moderator...

Many thanks in advance for any solution,

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-6409 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

wjt@wp3b01.UUCP (Bill Taggart) (03/30/88)

In article <398@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
>when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"
> ..... skipped stuff ......
>Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need the 1st part of the uuencoded
>files?

We had the exact same problem here.

I don't know whether it is just the first file that is munged
or the whole posting is trashed.

--

	Bill Taggart
	{uunet | ihnp4}!wp3b01!wjt

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/31/88)

In article <398@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get [an] error
>when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"

I ran around this one for a while, too, until I happened to read the
poster's note that it is a self-extracting archive. It should have
been set up to come out of the uudeode process with a .exe extension
instead of the .arc extension. Just rename it to sky.exe and execute
it on your PC.

It extracts itself just fine.

BY THE WAY - this is exactly the kind of discussion that belongs in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d so send in your vote today (to create the
discussion group) and get help this stuff out of the binaries group!

Votes go to Brian O'Neill at

	boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu

keith

fff@Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) (03/31/88)

From postnews Wed Mar 30 09:44:31 1988
In article <398@tsc.dec.com>, pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
> when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"
>
> An entry in SKY.ARC has a bad header.
>   46 bytes skipped.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need the 1st part of the uuencoded
> files?

I had the same problem, but I found that the program is actually a self-
extracting archive. Change the name from SKY.ARC to SKY.EXE and run it. You will
notice a big difference.  The poster should have provided us with this trivial
detail but since I managed to stumble onto it, no major aggravation was
encountered. The program, by the way, is very impressive.  Nicely done!

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.
FutureNet - A Division of Data I/O Corp.       "Of all the things I've lost, I

galew@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Gale Wolfenbarger) (03/31/88)

The problem is that the file that is created is SKY.ARC.  It should
have been SKY.EXE as explained in the first file.  Just rename it
to SKY.EXE and run it.  It is a self extracting archive.  I had the
same problem.  It seems to work once it has been extracted.

bw@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Wilhelmi) (03/31/88)

Although the package uudecodes as sky.arc, it should really be
sky.exe, which according to the instructions shipped with the
package is a self-upacking archive (presumeably created with
PKARC).

So, rename sky.arc to sky.exe and try running it as a self-unpacking
archive.

Bill Wilhelmi
Hewlett-Packard Company
Corvallis Workstation Operation
Corvallis, Oregon
UUCP:{ihnp4|cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}!hplabs!hp-pcd!hpcvlx!bw
USnail   : 1000 N.E. Circle Blvd., Corvallis, Oregon, 97330, USA

mshiels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) (03/31/88)

NOTE !!!!!  SKY.ARC is actually SKY.EXE a selfextracting ARC file !!!!! NOTE
--
  Michael A. Shiels (MaS Network Software)
  mshiels@watmath.waterloo.EDU

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (04/01/88)

In article <does anyone really read this path data?> Bill Taggart writes:
>We had the exact same problem here.

The uudecoded file should be brought down to the PC as SKY.EXE, not as
SKY.ARC.  It's an executable, self-unpacking program and isn't in the
format required by (PKX)ARC unless you strip off the first 9758 (decimal)
characters.

Disclaimer: I don't recall who wrote and/or submitted SKYPLOT, but I don't
recall recognizing the name.

Second disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all statements in this posting,
including this one.

len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine,1045E,5170,9624719) (04/05/88)

Another problem is with the date.  As you move west, the time gets later,
not earlier.

Otherwise, very impressive.

len@evax.milw.wisc.edu

daniel@unicom.UUCP (Dan Smith, not your average Lithuanian...) (04/06/88)

In article <24071@clyde.ATT.COM> ucsd!moss!rcj (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>I got the same error when I tried to look at the uudecoded archive
>(I did it twice).  Then, when the second copy of part 2 arrived here,
>I tried it again and still got the same error.

	Part of the standard pkarc/pkxarc distribution are a couple of
files/programs tha allow you to produce self-extracting archives. This
program (skyplot) is one of them. The poster mentioned that in his
cover letter. What you do is uudecode it, make the name end with .exe,
and run it from Msdos. Should work fine. It will self extract into the
cga and ega versions, and you'll get a doc file as well. Self extracting
archives have the advantage of not requiring you to use pk-anything - I
think that the pk stuff is distributed this way.

>Many thanks in advance for any solution,

	You're welcome :-)

				dan

dan smith, island graphics, marin co, ca|"A womp ba ba lu ba, a womp bam boom!"
uucp: {ucbvax!ucbcad,sun}!island!daniel | ph: +1 (415) 491 1000 (W), 332 FAST,
uucp: pixar!unicom!daniel, well!daniels | 332 EASY (H)| unix/guitars/films/tuna

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (04/13/88)

In article <398@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
>when running "ARC L SKY.ARC"
>
>Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need the 1st part of the uuencoded
>files?
I get the same error message; a general distribution problem, apparently.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (04/13/88)

In article <398@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>After uudecoding  the skyplot binary I get the following error
>An entry in SKY.ARC has a bad header.
>Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need the 1st part of the uuencoded
>files?

The file is a self-unpacking archive; rename to SKY.EXE and execute it.  I had
the same problem and then used "strings" on it.