[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Creation of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (03/19/88)

In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
> Since another discussion has broken out of the "Do we need a moderator"
> battle about the creation of a discussion group about binaries posted to
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will tally the votes for the creation of the
> newsgroup [comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d]. . . .

Isn't it a bit premature to be voting on the creation of a *.d newsgroup
when the jury is still out on whether comp.binaries.ibm.pc is even going
to be moderated in the first place?

Personally, I feel very strongly that comp.binaries.ibm.pc SHOULD be
moderated (Rahul, where are you?) and that a comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
newsgroup SHOULD be created.  I'm just wondering if perhaps we don't
have horse-and-cart problem here.

(No follow-ups to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, please)

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (03/19/88)

Since another discussion has broken out of the "Do we need a moderator"
battle about the creation of a discussion group about binaries posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will tally the votes for the creation of the
newsgroup. Here are the specifics:

	Name of group: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
	Purpose: To create an unmoderated forum for discussion about
             	 binaries posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, hopefully
		 relieving traffic through comp.sys.ibm.pc, which will be
		 maintained for discussions on the technical aspects of IBM
		 systems.

I will accept votes via e-mail until April 18. Remember: only votes received
by e-mail will count towards the total. Votes posted to the groups are
ignored. There must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes for the
group to be created.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu - boneill@hawk.UUCP ...!ulowell!hawk!boneill
MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator - E-mail for details

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (03/19/88)

In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
>I will accept votes via e-mail until April 18. Remember: only votes received
>by e-mail will count towards the total. Votes posted to the groups are
>ignored. There must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes for the
>group to be created.

Just a slight clarification - the "official rules" (Rules? We don't need
no steenkin' rules! :-) state that at least 100 more YES votes than NO
votes must be tallied _within a 30 day period_ (hence the cut-off date of
April 18th). So many people seem to be ignorant as to the procedure for
creating a news group that I just thought I'd point this out (What? You
don't read the news.* groups? For shame! :-).

Brian is completely correct about the voting requirements. E-mail votes
are the only ones that count, so please let's not clutter this discussion
any more than necessary. We thank you for your support.

						Jim Greenlee
--
The Shadow...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (03/20/88)

In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will tally the votes for the creation of the
> newsgroup. Here are the specifics:

     A nice gesture, but we should not be voting yet.  The steps
for creating a new group are:

     1.  Someone proposes a new group.	     (done)
     2.  Some discussion ensues.
     3.  A formal vote is proposed, and votes counted.

We (as well as most other groups) seem to keep skipping step 2.
This is important.  The discussion is where the rest of us get to
suggest improvements to the original proposal.  Let's take another
week or two, to be sure that we get the best possible proposal.
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu>, Brian O'Neill writes:
> 	Name of group: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
> 	Purpose: To create an unmoderated forum for discussion about
>              	 binaries posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, hopefully
> 		 relieving traffic through comp.sys.ibm.pc, which will be
> 		 maintained for discussions on the technical aspects of IBM
> 		 systems.

     Creation of yet another group will not relieve the discussion
present in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  The easiest thing for people to
do when reading an interesting article is to hit the 'followup'
key.  The followups automatically go to the same group.  To send
the followup to a different group (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d) would
require that people edit their newsgroup lines.  Numerous
experiences, in this group and many others, teaches us that people
are too lazy to do this.

     I fear that this new group would not achieve its purpose,
because it is dependent on everyone on the net actively doing
something.  A better solution would be to moderate
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  The moderator would be flooded with
followups, but could redirect them to some other group, like
comp.sys.ibm.pc.
--

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (03/22/88)

In article <1275@hqda-ai.UUCP> merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
>In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
>> comp.binaries.ibm.pc, I will tally the votes for the creation of the
>> newsgroup. Here are the specifics:
>
>     A nice gesture, but we should not be voting yet.  The steps
>for creating a new group are:
>
>     1.  Someone proposes a new group.	     (done)
>     2.  Some discussion ensues.
>     3.  A formal vote is proposed, and votes counted.
>
>We (as well as most other groups) seem to keep skipping step 2.
>This is important.  The discussion is where the rest of us get to
>suggest improvements to the original proposal.  Let's take another
>week or two, to be sure that we get the best possible proposal.
>--
>David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900

As far as the extra two weeks, voting continues until April 18 anyways,
giving the 30 days allotted by the Net-Gods. Discussion on the creation of
the group was and is taking place now. People will be allowed to change
their votes if they want, but are allowed only one vote.

I am still collecting the votes for the creation of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.
Please, e-mail votes ONLY. Someone already posted a vote, but these DO NOT
COUNT.

For the specifics on the proposed newsgroup, please see the original
posting, Creation of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/24/88)

In article <1276@hqda-ai.UUCP> merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
<     Creation of yet another group will not relieve the discussion
<present in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  The easiest thing for people to
<do when reading an interesting article is to hit the 'followup'
<key.  The followups automatically go to the same group.  To send

	Not "automatically" but "by default"

<the followup to a different group (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d) would
<require that people edit their newsgroup lines.

	The original poster can add a Followup-To: line which will
	deposit followup postings into the specified newsgroup.
	Still takes work, but only by the originator, the person
	posting to the binaries group.

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (03/25/88)

comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d ?!?

Come ON, that's five subdirectories deeper than "news"!
What's next, comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.humor.misc ???
--
Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer
------------------------------------------|----------------------------

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (04/01/88)

From article <10101@stb.UUCP>, by tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing):
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d ?!?
>
> Come ON, that's five subdirectories deeper than "news"!
> What's next, comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.humor.misc ???

Nope. comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.humor.misc.funny. A moderated group. Brad
should have little trouble finding time to do it...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

smith@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) (04/02/88)

> Article <1276@hqda-ai.UUCP> From: merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes)

> In article <5551@swan.ulowell.edu>, Brian O'Neill writes:
> > 	Name of group: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
> > 	Purpose: To create an unmoderated forum for discussion about
> >              	 binaries posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, hopefully
> > 		 relieving traffic through comp.sys.ibm.pc, which will be
> > 		 maintained for discussions on the technical aspects of IBM
> > 		 systems.
>
>      Creation of yet another group will not relieve the discussion
> present in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  The easiest thing for people to
> do when reading an interesting article is to hit the 'followup'
> key.  The followups automatically go to the same group.  To send
> the followup to a different group (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d) would
> require that people edit their newsgroup lines.  Numerous
> experiences, in this group and many others, teaches us that people
> are too lazy to do this.

Of course they are and people should realize that others are not
likely to edit the newsgroups line. The poster of an article MUST
take the responsibility to include a Followups line in his/her
article to force followups into the proper group.

I have already offerred to take votes on the subject of
the group comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, but there seems to be considerable
apathy on the net about it as I have yet to receive ANY votes.

Please vote via mail with a ONE line message saying YES or NO
direct longer messages to news.groups or /dev/null
--
		      decvax!mandrill!ncoast!smith
			ncoast!smith@cwru.csnet

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (04/04/88)

Just a reminder - you have until April 18 to vote for or against the
creation of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d. I will accept any votes arriving until
midnight April 19 dated before the 18th.

Just to let you know, the current totals are:

			YES:	117
			NO:	19

Very, very close to the 100 needed...

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,rutgers,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (04/05/88)

>Just a reminder - you have until April 18 to vote for or against the
>creation of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d. I will accept any votes arriving until
>midnight April 19 dated before the 18th.
>
>Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
>ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
>UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,rutgers,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

I'd like advocate the creation of this newsgroup.  It seems that
if you're gonna distribute programs (source or binaries) for some
machine, you need a place to talk about 'em, too.  Some people might
say "put it in comp.sys.ibm.pc,"  but when I come in on Monday, I've
got about 100 unread messages in there.  If I spent the time necessary
to weed through all that stuff, I'd never get to talk.bizarre :-)
And if you've been watching comp.binaries.ibm.pc lately, you know that
80% of the stuff that's been on it really belongs in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.

So get your act together and vote YES.

--
+
|       Duke Robillard
|       AT&T Bell Labs           m10ux!rgr@ihnp4.UUCP
|       Murray Hill, NJ          {any biggy}!ihnp4!m10ux!rgr

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (04/20/88)

Voting is now closed for the creation of the discussion group
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, and the final counts are:

		YES	181
		NO	36

So, the group will be created. A list of votes received will be posted to
news.groups.