[comp.binaries.ibm.pc] Wanted: ZORK I for IBM PC

jrr@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Jim Russell) (04/22/88)

Yes, that's right, for bizarre reasons of my own, I am looking for
a copy of the text-adventure game ZORK for the IBM PC.  Since this
is copyrighted software and cannot be distributed over the net, I
am therefore offering to BUY a second-hand copy of this program (Note:
I'm talking about an ORIGINAL copy, not anything pirated or illegal).
As I understand it, this is the type of game that once 'solved' loses
most of its appeal, so there must be someone out there who would be
willing to part with it for some quick cash.
Anyone interested please send me mail at jrr@svax.cs.cornell.edu .

- Jim

PS  Philosophically, I find the concept of second-hand software quite
new.  However, given the number of used record stores, used book stores,
etc. I'll bet that somewhere there is already a market for this.
Anyone ever heard of one?

Jim Russell
Comp. Sci. Dept., Cornell Univ.
jrr@svax.cs.cornell.edu

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/22/88)

In article <16109@cornell.UUCP>, jrr@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Jim Russell) writes:
> PS  Philosophically, I find the concept of second-hand software quite
> new.  However, given the number of used record stores, used book stores,
> etc. I'll bet that somewhere there is already a market for this.
> Anyone ever heard of one?
>
> Jim Russell
> Comp. Sci. Dept., Cornell Univ.

There are several stores in the Denver area which sell used software on
a consignment basis.  At least two of these stores also rent software for
evaluation purposes.  They only allow the sale of original packages and
require renters to sign an affidavit that they will not copy the software.

Congresswoman Pat Schroader of CO has introduced a bill to stop
all software rentals and used software sales.  She previously succeeded
in passing a bill stopping audio music rentals (the provision against used
record sales was eliminated).  She has publically stated her next target will
be video rentals!

The point of this discourse is: yes, used software sales is a very good idea
and a commercial success for all the stores I have seen attempt it; but it
is a good idea that may be made illegal unless our congressmen are informed
that it is a perfectly legal recourse that is acceptable to all but a handful
of software developers.

    Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
            {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
                              or
 SYSOP @ M.O.M. AI BBS - (303) 273-3989 - 300/1200/2400 8-N-1 24 hrs.

       *** UNIX is a philosophy, not an operating system ***
 *** BUT it is a registered trademark of AT&T, so get off my back ***