in messages <785, 786, 787@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>?
From: gibb@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Charles J. Gibbons)

When I attempt to deARC the decoded archive I get

>PKXARC    FAST!    Archive Extract Utility    Version 3.5    04-27-87
>Searching: HYPER.ARC
>Filename        Length   Method     Size   Ratio    Date      Time    CRC
>--------        ------   ------    ------  -----    ----      ----    ---
>CONFIG.HYP          66  Crunched       45   32%   02-01-88  23:03:00  FC9D
>CTRL.COM          2376  Crunched     2079   13%   02-01-88  23:03:00  0727
>FILE0             1913  Crunched      922   52%   02-01-88  23:03:00  7BBF
 [ ... many lines deleted ...]
>FILE79            1466  Crunched      908   39%   02-01-88  23:03:00  7B77
>HYPER0.ARC is not an archive.

and FILE79 is prematurely truncated.  Any sugestions?  Thanks.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Charles J. Gibbons              ARPA: gibb@mitre-bedford.ARPA
The MITRE Corporation                or  cjg@mitre-omaha.ARPA
1510 Wall Street              USENET: linus!mbunix!gibb
Bellevue, NE  68005        Phone: 402/292-5889 or AV 271-4125

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (04/27/88)

I noticed the same problem de-arciving HYPER.ARC (FILE79 being
truncated, that is).  Doing a verbose listing of the archive using
SEA ARC (Version 5.12) does not indicate any problem, but it fails
using the 'test archive' option.

On a related note, is there any documentation as to how to configure/use
this implementation (or is this just my lack of knowledge of using
hypertext software in general)?

----
Tom Frauenhofer	tvf@ccird3.UUCP (...!rochester!cci632!ccird3!tvf)
	also know as tfra_c56@vera.cc.rochester.edu

You become old the day your child looks at you and goes, "Dad, You're Old!"

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (04/29/88)

In article <8588@cci632.UUCP> tvf@ccird3.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
|I noticed the same problem de-arciving HYPER.ARC (FILE79 being
|truncated, that is).  Doing a verbose listing of the archive using
|SEA ARC (Version 5.12) does not indicate any problem, but it fails
|using the 'test archive' option.
|
|On a related note, is there any documentation as to how to configure/use
|this implementation (or is this just my lack of knowledge of using
|hypertext software in general)?

I also have the truncated FILE79 on the copy I received, and I think
that the problem is that the archive itself got cut off in the middle
of the file FILE79, which means that any file alphabetically after
FILE79 would be lost: any README files, files with ordering
information for the PC-Hypertext creation software, and, since I can't
see how CNTRL.COM could handle the hypertext, the actual PC-Hypertext
display program.

What we need is for someone to offload the PC-Hypertext archive from
Compu$erve again, check it to make sure it's all there, and post it
again.

	Sean Malloy
	Naval Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc

In article <417@james.nprdc.arpa> I wrote:
> . . . I think
>that the problem is that the archive itself got cut off in the middle
>of the file FILE79, which means that any file alphabetically after
>FILE79 would be lost:  . . .

In fact, reading through the files that _did_ unARC completely, I find
references in some of the screens (notably FILE0A -- I exclude the game
calls in FILE18) to text files that weren't in the arc file as posted:
HYPER.NET, GUIDE1, GUIDE4. The arc file was obviously badly truncated.

	Sean R. Malloy