[net.micro] Macintosh

STERNLIGHT%USC-ECL%sri-nic@sri-unix.UUCP (01/24/84)

>From today's Wall Street Journal:  "The Macintosh, which  will  retail
for  $2,495,  is a scaled-down version of Apple's Lisa computer.  Both
are a part of what Apple calls its 32-bit line of computers.  The Lisa
models  will  be  able  to  use  all  the  Macintosh software, but the
Macintosh won't be  able  to  use  all  of  the  Lisa  software.   The
Macintosh   will   have   double   the  memory  of  the  IBM  Personal
Computer--which means it will be able  to  handle  more  than  130,000
pieces  of  information  at  one time."  ...  "We priced it at a point
where we can make a normal profit on  it."   ...   "Mr.   Sculley  has
taken  pains  to  see that the Macintosh is ready on the day of formal
introduction."  ...  "At the annual meeting the company will introduce
the  'Apple  University  Consortium,'  representatives of the colleges
that altogether have ordered $50 million of Macintoshes."  --david--
-------

OC.WBC3%cu20b@BRL.ARPA (01/28/84)

From:  Bill Catchings <OC.WBC3%cu20b@BRL.ARPA>

I just got back from a seminar in (sunny) Ft. Lauderdale at which the
VP of Sales and Marketing from Apple spoke.  (Curiously enough he was
the coach of the Columbia University football team about five years
ago, makes you wonder about a lot of things.)  He confirmed a number
of things mentioned in previous Mac notes on this list.  Yes for $25
you can connect up to 32 Macs (and I think Lisas).  This "network"
uses twisted pair, I guess not much else could be used for $25.  He
also mentioned a laser printer and file server for this network were
in the future.  The price of the laser printer is to be under $5,000.
I'd like to see that.  The most important thing he had to say was that
though Apple was glad to cash in on all the free publicity and excitement
for the MacIntosh the more important thing Apple wanted to convey was
that Apple had a "product line", the Apple System 32 SuperMicroComputer.
That product line is made up of the Mac and the three Lisas.  He was
also very explicit about how aggressive Apple is going to be in the
marketplace.  They are going to offer some form of quantity discounts
for national accounts.  The details of this and how that interfaces with
their current dealer network will be announced on Thursday.  Also in this
vein they are targeting Universities and select Fortune 500 accounts at
big discounts to crack IBM strangle hold on the market.  This should be
an interesting fight.  Stay tuned.

					-Bill Catchings

-------

grzm@kuling.UUCP (Gunnar Blomberg) (02/02/86)

From the preview of the Atari 520ST in the January 1986 issue of BYTE:
> We were impressed by the high data-transfer rate of both the
> floppy-disk drives and the hard-disk drives we tested with the
> 520ST. The speed is a tribute to the efficiency of the DMA custom
> chip and the WD1772 floppy controller.  I/O is quick (no endless
> waiting during disk reads), [...] you can copy an entire disk [...]
> in 99 seconds and copy a 32K-byte file in 16 seconds.  The disk-copy
> operation does not automatically format the disks, which requires an
> additional 54 seconds

  Ok, so how much faster than a Mac is this, I wondered.  I tried it
on a Mac at my work and came up with the following rather surprising
figures:

			  520ST	  Mac

	copy full disk:    99s	   75s
	copy 32K file	   16s	   12s
	format disk	   54s	   36s

  The copying was done with the Finder (one file filling the entire
disk in the first case - it takes *much* longer if there are many
files).  Formatting was done by formatting the disk on a Lisa and then
clicking "Initialize" when the Mac got it.

  Interesting, isn't it?  Somebody must have screwed badly somewhere
(and I'm not saying it isn't me, though I can't see what I could have
done differently)...

--
Gunnar Blomberg (Grzm), Computing Science Dept., Uppsala University, Sweden
Tel: +46 18 13 76 02