[net.micro] DEC Pro info wanted

smiles@lsrhs.UUCP (Kevin "Mr. Boots" Ruddy) (02/02/86)

I am interested in replacing my Rainbow 100B with some form of a
Professional.  I don't know much about the 350/380 (any others?)
other than the 350 is an 11/23 (no split I/D).  Does anyone have
prices/ideas/trade offers?  If anyone is interested, I happen to
have a LOT of software (most of which I have never used).  But I
would be very thankful for any information.

(Nice margins, eh?)
--
grkermi!lsrhs!smiles@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/04/86)

In article <902@lsrhs.UUCP> smiles@lsrhs.UUCP (Kevin "Mr. Boots" Ruddy) writes:
>I am interested in replacing my Rainbow 100B with some form of a
>Professional.  I don't know much about the 350/380 (any others?)
>other than the 350 is an 11/23 (no split I/D).  Does anyone have
>prices/ideas/trade offers?  If anyone is interested, I happen to
>have a LOT of software (most of which I have never used).  But I
>would be very thankful for any information.

	DO NOT BUY 350 !!! Pro-380 is MUCH better, about 3 times the
	speed, with an 11/70 chip. Of course, split I/D space, interlaced
	400*800 graphics (need a slow-phospor screen) etc. Although 380
	costs a great deal more than 350, it seems that it is the only
	one DEC seems to be committed to. [Down with those of us who had
	the misfortune of buying 350 right ??] I did not see any dhrystone
	bencmarks on 380, but 3*350 is about 3*IBM PC and perhaps lot more.

	VENIX would be a good thing to run under Pro-380, it is very tight,
	reasonably complete, and makes an excellent UN*X development
	environment. I think IDRIS & XENIX may also be available, but I am
	biased against both of those.

	If you want to run POS, get all the development kits etc, to make it
	into a good RSX-11 environment. (Which is still MUCH better than,
	say, MS-DOS, in my opinion..)

	No idea about hardware prices. VENIX is about 1000$ I think, and it
	is WELL WORTH IT..

Oz

Ps: I am in no way associated with Venturcom, the originator of VENIX. I
just use it, and like it a lot.

--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]