[net.micro] Save your money

farber%pcpond.pc.udel.edu@UDEL-LOUIE.ARPA (David Farber) (02/12/86)

I have finally found a service with worse response time than
Compuserve and more useless. (I want my registration back).
The BIX service of BYTE is worse than useless. It is either
overloaded or the guys at the University of Gueth (or something
like that) are just poor designers. Both functionally and
operationally BIX is UNACCEPTABLE. Their "database" part is
slower than a Apple II and the "conferencing" makes Compuserve
look just GREAT.

As you can see I am not a fan of that mess.

Dave

jsisi@trwrba.UUCP (Dan Jones) (02/15/86)

I agree 100% that BIX in it's current state is worthless unless you happen
to be a fan of J.E.Pournelle's mad meanderings.

My personal impression of BIX is that it was designed for a very different
purpose than it is being put to at the moment.  At the present time, even the
worst message system on an old RCPM system is superior in ease-of-use and
functionality.  As an extended conferencing system, it certainly fares poorly
even in comparison with USENET.  You just thought there were a lot of pointless
articles here.  On BIX, there is no logical way to avoid the pointless drivel.
(Maybe someday one of the system people at BIX will consider a system as well
thought out as rn.  Then again, probably not.)

Let us hope that the system will improve, or that McGraw-Hill will decide it is
hopeless and refund the sign-up fee.  (Never again will I sign up for a system
based on good reviews and a big-name backer.  Get a demo ala Compuserv before
signing up, especially if McGraw-Hill is involved.)

	Dan Jones
		...trwrb!jcc-one!djones
		...trwrba!jsisi

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (02/19/86)

Besides:

Consider that you must pay a fee for what is free elsewhere, and the
editors of BYTE will then use what *you* post as filler in their
magazine.

Pay for BIX?   .....not me...

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

drforsey@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Forsey) (02/20/86)

In article <1833@trwrba.UUCP> jsisi@trwrba.UUCP (Dan Jones) writes:

>I agree 100% that BIX in it's current state is worthless unless you happen
>to be a fan of J.E.Pournelle's mad meanderings.
>
>At the present time, even the
>worst message system on an old RCPM system is superior in ease-of-use and
>functionality.  As an extended conferencing system, it certainly fares poorly
>even in comparison with USENET.  You just thought there were a lot of pointless
>articles here.  On BIX, there is no logical way to avoid the pointless drivel.
>(Maybe someday one of the system people at BIX will consider a system as well
>thought out as rn.  Then again, probably not.)

Back before BIX was available I had a "COSY" account at the University
of Guelph where the original BIX system was developed.
I had numerous discussions with people there about the form of the BIX
user-interface and its functionality.

The major problem seemed to be that the design was mainly controlled by
people whose main experience seemed to be from Data Processing in the
IBM tradition (i.e. people who view card punches as the ultimate in
user interfaces and who give blank stares when you mention hierachial
file systems), and by the fact that they wanted the system to run
easily on anything. Thus because this lowest common demoninator was a goal,
many things were sacrificed.

It got to be so frustrating talking with these people that I ended up
just posting an edited version of the man page for "rn" just to try
and stir things up. No (as in nothing) response at all.

Note that the person implementing the thing voiced similar complaints,
but he had little say in what the final form of the system would be.

Dave Forsey
Computer Graphics Laboratory
University of Waterloo
Waterloo Ont. Canada.