[net.micro] Computer trivia.

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (02/22/86)

Computer Trivia tm., by GAMEBRAINS tm. poses a question:

	     1.  Which was the first computer to use magnetic disks ?.

		     A:  Manchester University's "ATLAS".

My question is: Was it really the ATLAS or was it IBM's STRECH ?. Maybe some old
timers out there can help me out with this question.

			    Thanks in advanced,  BIG DAVE.

--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.           /    USUAL   \
sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!miller                         \ DISCLAIMER /

hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) (02/25/86)

In article <1046@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) writes:
>Computer Trivia tm., by GAMEBRAINS tm. poses a question:
>
>	     1.  Which was the first computer to use magnetic disks ?.
>
>		     A:  Manchester University's "ATLAS".
>
>My question is: Was it really the ATLAS or was it IBM's STRECH ?. Maybe some old
>timers out there can help me out with this question.

All this is from my (faulty) memory.

ATLAS didn't have a disk.  IBM (!) invented the disk.  The first
product with it was the IBM 305 RAMAC (RAndoM ACcess).  The drum
had been around for a while.

Manchester did invent some interesting things: Williams tubes (for
main memory; used in the IBM 701; obsoleted by Jay Forrester's core
memory).  Index registers ("B-lines").  Pages (first on the ATLAS).
Paging (first on the TITAN (second version of ATLAS)).
Micro-programming.

STRETCH did have some novel things: the first BYTE (terminology).
Pipe-lining.