[net.micro] help needed about DOSAMATIC

wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) (02/19/86)

I downloaded the dosamatic for ibmpc from the net.sources a few weeks ago.
After cutting off the lines before #---cut here--- line in the uuencoded
files 1 and 2, I 'cat 2 >> 1' then run the 'sh 1'.
After transfering the exe file to ibmpc AT (dos 3.0), I tried to run it.
I got the Turbo-Pascal run time error message FF ( which means heap/stack
collision).    Can anyone tell me what went wrong ?  ( I used the supplied
ibmmono.bat to run it).
Or can someone near Princeton send me the two uuencoded files ?
Thanks.
HP Wei  (wei@princeton)

PS: The run time error happened the second time. The first
time the ibmmono.bat simply returned to dos. The third time the machine
was stuck and had to soft reboot.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (02/21/86)

I too need help with DOSAMATIC, but not to get it working on the PC: that
was no problem. There are a few minor bugs that annoy me, namely

1. When the menu says 'show hidden files' it actually means do not show them.
2. When asking to execute a batch file it says 'Enter Command:" when it
   really wants the parameters only.
3. I cannot find a way to stop it always asking me if what I want to do
   is a graphics program (it never is).
4. I am not sure that it always indicates the correct number of subtasks.
5. etc. etc.

BUT
my main gripe is that my version is always hanging up the XT needing a
hard boot. I just did it again, running dosamatic under itself (stupid
twit that I am). Am I alone in having problems, or is it all a ploy to
get me to pay my money and receive the latest and greatest version?
Personally, I would happily pay (or negociate a site-wide license), but
only after ensuring that the goods are worth the price. Every need for
a time-consuming hard boot reduces the price which I think it is worth.

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (02/22/86)

In article <279@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP (Mike Gerard, DD Division, CERN.) writes:
>I too need help with DOSAMATIC, but not to get it working on the PC...

>1. When the menu says 'show hidden files' it actually means do not show them.
Right. They are toggles -- hit it and THEN it WILL show'em.
>2. When asking to execute a batch file it says 'Enter Command:" when it
>   really wants the parameters only.
Yup. Pretty stupid... :-(
>3. I cannot find a way to stop it always asking me if what I want to do
>   is a graphics program (it never is).
This is REALLY dumb. So far as I know, there ain't no way. :-(
>4. I am not sure that it always indicates the correct number of subtasks.
It doesn't. You have to hit F2 to update the screen. :-(
>5. etc. etc.
    :-(  :-(

>BUT
>my main gripe is that my version is always hanging up the XT needing a
>hard boot.

Never had THIS problem (but then again, I don't use DOSAMATIC anymore. :-) )

--

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.

	   It takes thought to make a program that thinks.
	   But it takes work to make a program that works.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (02/26/86)

More DOSAMATIC problems:-

1. With LASTDRIVE=Z the left-hand side list of units gets all screwed
   up: when I use via MS-NET on virtual disk E it reads (from the top)
   B C D E E F G H ....
   with the second E blinking. Moving the cursor up gets it correct, but
   then moving it down towards Z screws it again.
2. I would like to set up various defaults, such as showing hidden files,
   sorting by date and time etc.
3. Copying a whole directory.

It ain't bad, though.