[net.micro] SCSI hard disk interfaces

Tappan@bbng.arpa (Dan Tappan) (02/26/86)

I'm looking for some practical information on SCSI hard disk controllers.
Basicly I'm looking for a controller I can use to connect an ST506
drive to a Macintosh, using either the Mac+ SCSI port or one of the
MacSCSI varients (I haven't decided which way I'm going to go in upgrading
my Mac). Looking through the adds in the back of BYTE I find the
following controllers mentioned:

	Xebec S1410A - I assume this is the most likely to be standard.
	It's also the most expensive.
	OMTI 20L
	Shugart 1610-1 "Similar to DTC 510"
	Shugart 1610-3 "Similar to Xebec S1410"
	Shugart 1610-4 "Similar to Adaptec 4000"
	Also mentioned are Western Digital, Adaptec, and "DG" controllers. I
	don't know the model numbers.

Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the SCSI spec and any
of these controllers and can tell me how likely they are to work?
I'm particularly interested in electrical compatability since I
assume that I can hack up a driver if necessary if the controller
only varies in command codes. Things like "that controller assumes
it's the only one on the bus" would also be interesting.

Thanks for any info,
Dan Tappan
-------

bmw@aesat.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (03/04/86)

[This message was transmitted with %100 recycled characters.]

[...]
                      ^^^^--------------[I assume you mean LEAST expensive]
>	OMTI 20L
>	Shugart 1610-1 "Similar to DTC 510"
>	Shugart 1610-3 "Similar to Xebec S1410"
>	Shugart 1610-4 "Similar to Adaptec 4000"
>	Also mentioned are Western Digital, Adaptec, and "DG" controllers. I
>	don't know the model numbers.

[...]
>I'm particularly interested in electrical compatability [...]

First off, the Xebec and OMTI are SASI controllers, but in essence,
SASI is a subset of SCSI, so there would be no problem connecting them
to a SCSI port (that is, *assuming* that Apple doesn't screw up and
produce a non-standard SCSI implimentation).  The Xebec comes wired to
expect a single host (your computer), single controller (itself) and no
arbitration (nobody else on the bus) situation; but this can be changed
by jumpering.

Basically, SCSI is SCSI.  You should be able to get any host adapter
that says SCSI on it and hook it up, and, if you are only doing simple
things like reading/writing a number of sectors, have it running with
your software in no time.

If you are connecting a single ST506 to a single Mac, your best bet is
to shop for the least expensive board you can get from the list above.
You do not need any more functionality (unless you are very concerned
about controller-handled sector defect mapping or something, in which
case, you'll have to get the individual OEM manuals and investigate).

If, on the other hand, you wanted an "all singing, all dancing" bells
and whistles board (possibly with 2,7 RLL encoding to boost your disk
capacity and transfer rate by 50%), then spring for an Adaptec.

One small point:  all the above boards have a 50 pin Berg-style flat
ribbon connector for the SCSI (or SASI) port.  Some PC host adapters I
have seen (and potentially the Apple too) use a 25 or 36 pin D-shell
which, of course, will require some kind of transition cable.  These
can be an absolute bitch to make, check out the price of cables while
you're out shopping.

Bruce Walker     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!bmw

Join the march to save individuality!

| This disclaimer is not warranted to be suitable or fit |
|   for any purpose whatsoever, and may be recursive.    |