[net.micro] PCjr...What's so wrong with it???

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey) (03/13/86)

In article <125@tetra.UUCP>, rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> In article <361@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
> As for the PC Jr., I think that is the exception which proves the rule
> (whatever that means).  IBM did NOT have an automatic lock on the
> low-end home market.  IBM had to compete on something approaching even
> terms with Apple, Commodore, and Atari.  Which means that the Jr. had to
> succeed on its own merits.  The potential buyer, mostly not people
> caught up in the IBM syndrome, looked at the Jr. and asked, "What have
> you got to offer?"  The Jr., obviously deliberately crippled by its
> manufacturer, failed.

I have a PCjr, and I'm quite impressed with it.  It's like having a PC
at a third of the price.  You only give up one-stroke function keys and
DMA (no typing while the disk is being used).  I think it's a hell of a
deal.  I wouldn't want to do serious development on it (that's what my
Amiga is for!), but it's great for word processing, running Managing Your
Money, playing the occassional game, hacking, etc.  I think it is very
interesting to see IBM running PCjr commercials, after they stopped making
them.  Maybe it'll make a come-back!

Lee