[net.micro] 000 unix rumors

notes@isucs1.UUCP (02/06/86)

Those following the trail of the fabled <$1000 UNIX workstation should check up
on the Torch from England.  There is a quick blurb in the Jan '86 (maybe it
is Feb..) Byte.  The article mentioned that the company was looking for a US
manufacturer to make and sell the system.  Described was a 1meg memory, 32
bit processor UNIX machine with graphics sounding a lot like the rumored
Atari system.... hmmmm.....(didn't keep me from getting an Amiga...)

		Quent Johnson
		CSNET: quent@iowa-state
		UUCP: ...umn-cs!isucs1!quent

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (02/11/86)

In article <508@isucs1.UUCP> notes@isucs1.UUCP writes:
>Those following the trail of the fabled <$1000 UNIX workstation should check up
>on the Torch from England.  There is a quick blurb in the Jan '86 (maybe it
>is Feb..) Byte.  The article mentioned that the company was looking for a US
>manufacturer to make and sell the system.  Described was a 1meg memory, 32
>bit processor UNIX machine with graphics sounding a lot like the rumored
>Atari system.... hmmmm.....(didn't keep me from getting an Amiga...)
>
>		Quent Johnson
>		CSNET: quent@iowa-state
>		UUCP: ...umn-cs!isucs1!quent

The machine is the Torch Triple X. The processor is the 68010.
It is not a lot like an Atari, as it has been designed to run UNIX,
that is it has the MMU, which saves a lot of mucking about with the
code of UNIX  The screen is, however, like an Atari - small.
In fact the demo model we were shown had a 10 inch colour monitor
which was awful.

It has an icon interface, and is generally quite nice.

Of course, its nowhere near the <$1000 mark. More like $4000.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (02/22/86)

> Those following the trail of the fabled <$1000 UNIX workstation should check up
> on the Torch from England.  There is a quick blurb in the Jan '86 (maybe it
> is Feb..) Byte.  The article mentioned that the company was looking for a US

Yeh. ANYONE know ANYTHING else about this? Like whether you can order one from
England, and how much it is...
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

graham@brueer.UUCP (Graham Carpenter) (02/28/86)

> > Those following the trail of the fabled <$1000 UNIX workstation should check up
> > on the Torch from England.  There is a quick blurb in the Jan '86 (maybe it
> > is Feb..) Byte.  The article mentioned that the company was looking for a US
>
> Yeh. ANYONE know ANYTHING else about this? Like whether you can order one from
> England, and how much it is...
> --
> -- Peter da Silva
> -- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

It's not quite < $1000. At the moment it is available in the UK for 3995 pounds.
I've seen one briefly - too briefly to comment, but Torch can be reached at:

Torch Computers Ltd
Abberly House
Great Shelford
CAMBRIDGE
CB2 5LQ

Tel: +44 223 841000
Tlx: 818841 TORCH G
Fax: +44 223 840223

No e-mail address I'm afraid (I phoned to check.)

Graham
--
*==============================================================================*
* Graham J Carpenter.                |                                         *

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) (03/06/86)

> > > Those following the trail of the fabled <$1000 UNIX workstation should check up

PC Week for 25 Feb 86 reports an under $1000 IBM PC/XT compatible
machine* (including hard disk, one floppy, monitor, etc.).

Unfortunately, they only supply 128K at the $999 price; so one would
also need some memory chips which would take it over $1000.

If it is really compatible with the XT then it can run PC/IX, and may
be the cheapest machine running a genuine Unix system around.

Thos Sumner ( ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca!thos)

*Kamerman Labs.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (03/14/86)

In article <445@ucsfcca.UUCP> root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) writes:

>PC Week for 25 Feb 86 reports an under $1000 IBM PC/XT compatible
>machine* (including hard disk, one floppy, monitor, etc.).
>
>Unfortunately, they only supply 128K at the $999 price; so one would
>also need some memory chips which would take it over $1000.

I believe that lacks a hard disk, too. AMT (same magazine) offers a $@k
AT clone which includes a 20MB hard disk. Still no <$1k machine, tho.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

quent@isucs1.UUCP (03/17/86)

I still claim that Atari is up to something related to this Torch.  The
market is ripe for a cheap imitation Unix workstation and Tramiel is
just the one to do it :)

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) (03/18/86)

> >PC Week for 25 Feb 86 reports an under $1000 IBM PC/XT compatible
> >machine* (including hard disk, one floppy, monitor, etc.).
> >
> >Unfortunately, they only supply 128K at the $999 price; so one would
> >also need some memory chips which would take it over $1000.
>
> I believe that lacks a hard disk, too. AMT (same magazine) offers a $@k
> AT clone which includes a 20MB hard disk. Still no <$1k machine, tho.
> --
> 	-bill davidsen

When you set out to correct someone you should make a minimal effort
to know something about the subject, something Mr. Davidsen neglects.

On p. 22 of Infoworld 3 Mar 86 there is an ad for the system described
in the PC Week article referred to above which says:

For $999 Kamerman Labs new XT gives you
   16 bit 8088 System Unit (Turbo option available)
   640K Mother Board, 128K on Board
   10 Mbyte Fixed Disk & Card
   360K Floppy Drive & Card
   Keyboard
   Monitor and Card
   8 Expansion Slots
   135W Power Supply
adding two sets of 256K memory chips ($58 form PC's Limited ad p.38
of same issue) gives $1057. Not quite <$1000 but the closest I have
seen yet. If their claims of compatibility with the IBM PC/XT are
correct then it will run PC/IX which makes it the lowest priced
system capable of running a real Unix system I know of.

Thos Sumner    ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca!thos
(No connection with Kamerman except reading their ads and press
releases)