[net.micro] DOUBLEDOS vs. DESQVIEW

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (03/11/86)

I'm looking at a limited requirement for multitasking ability on my
PC/AT.  Information, opinions, problems and insights into both
DesqView and DoubleDos would be greatly appreciated.

Max Robin
email:whuxg!2212msr
phone:201-386-6865

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (03/14/86)

In article <579@whuts.UUCP>, 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
> I'm looking at a limited requirement for multitasking ability on my
> PC/AT.  Information, opinions, problems and insights into both
> DesqView and DoubleDos would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using desqview now for several weeks and find that it handles about
90% of my requirements.  Here are some problems that I've encountered:

1.  Background downloads with Crosstalk XVI (Version 3.6) are possible but
tricky.  The machine will often lock up if there is some problem with the
download.

2.  Ready! and Desqview have to fight for the mouse, often with disastrous
results.  You might anticipate problems with other mouse-based software.

3.  All software will slow down considerably when running under desqview,
even in teh foreground.

4.  Some programs won't run under Desqview, among them are Dr. Halo and
MS-Kermit.

But on the whole, I like the program.  It has a lot of nice features and
it's easy to install and use.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/15/86)

In article <3716@utah-cs.UUCP> halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) writes:
>                         Here are some problems that I've encountered:
>4.  Some programs won't run under Desqview, among them are Dr. Halo and
>MS-Kermit.

I use MS-Kermit (version 2.28) regularly with DESQview when I have a
background task I want to run on the PC and want to work
on the mainframe; or when I have a massive file (like web2) to download
to the PC while I do useful work locally.  Both the new (Jan 86) and old
(original) versions of DESQview work correctly with this version of Kermit.
If there's interest I can dredge up the settings I use for it.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (03/17/86)

In article <122@randvax.UUCP>, jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) writes:
> In article <3716@utah-cs.UUCP> halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) writes:
> >                         Here are some problems that I've encountered:
> >4.  Some programs won't run under Desqview, among them are Dr. Halo and
> >MS-Kermit.
>
> I use MS-Kermit (version 2.28) regularly with DESQview ...
> ... when I have a massive file (like web2) to download
> to the PC while I do useful work locally.  ...
> If there's interest I can dredge up the settings I use for it.

The problem that I have with Kermit and Desqview is that after I initiate
a file transfer and switch out of the Kermit window, Kermit continues to
write status information (Number of blocks transferred, retries, etc.) to
the screen, thus overwriting the foreground task's display.  I assumed that
this behavior is because Kermit is stuffing bytes directly to screen RAM.
But, if someone has settings that avoid this problem, I'd appreciate
getting them.  Perhaps there are other people on the net that would
appreciate that information as well.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

mike@cavell.UUCP (Mike Smith) (03/18/86)

	I have been using Desqview for six months. I primarily use
	it to download files, using MS-kermit, while I edit source.
	This always works fine as I am not using a mouse.

Me.