[net.micro] Kermit with DESQview

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (03/19/86)

In article <3725@utah-cs.UUCP> halff@utah-cs.UUCP writes:
> [... When using Kermit under DESQview ...]          Kermit continues to
>write status information (Number of blocks transferred, retries, etc.) to
>the screen, thus overwriting the foreground task's display.

I use the following settings in the DESQview information file, and don't
get any overwrites with Kermit version 2.28.

	Path to data: c:\bin            (to pick up mskermit.ini)
	Memory size: 128
	Window position: 0 0 25 80
	Script buffer size: 1000
	Write to screen: off            (the important one for you, I think)
	Runs only in foreground: off
	Can be swapped to disk: on
	Topview calls: off
	Close on exit: on
	Displays graphics: off
	Uses own colors: on
	Allows keyboard typeahead: on
	Allows scritp typeahead: on
	Runs from floppy: off

I'm sure some of those settings could be changed and still have it work
right, but I suspect the critical ones are "Write to screen", "Runs only
in foreground", and perhaps "Uses own colors".  I just used it today to
ship a uuencoded version of ARC500 to my mainframe while editing locally
in my full-screen editor.  No troubles except that on my first try I ran
Norton's SI to see how I was getting impacted ... it crashed the system,
but not because of DESQview or Kermit: turns out that SI will crash my
system anyway when it finds I'm using a Kamerman accelerator card with
its own memory!  Sigh.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim