[net.music] net.hate

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (09/01/85)

The criticisms of me in net.music might have about as much as 3% basis
in reality (where anyone comes off telling me I don't like Bach, when I
never ever said such a thing, I dunno...).  I really don't know about
some people....  they say I post too much about some things, but even
though they've been provided with "n" keys, kill files, and even a
program to ignore all postings from me, they still read what I post and
complain and whine and spew hate at me in public.  It makes you
wonder....

I'm not going to bother defending myself -- those who like me already do
and those who hate me already do.  I'd just like to make a request to
those who have nothing to contribute to net.music other than vitrol
about me:

At least I still seem to realize that this is net.music and not
net.hate.  Please post your garbage there, or better yet, go climb back
into the fetid anal sphincters from you emerged.

			Cheers,

			Doug Alan
			 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (09/02/85)

doug alan:
>At least I still seem to realize that this is net.music and not
>net.hate.  Please post your garbage there, or better yet, go climb back
>into the fetid anal sphincters from you emerged.

IT WORKED!! we finally got through to him.  this IS net.music.  now if
we can get him to realize *THE REASON* we all jumped on his case was
*HE* couldn't remember this is net.music.  he thought it was
net.why_KB_is_the_best and net.let_me_put_down_artists_with_no_reason
and on and on.  most of us have realized this is net.music for quite
a while.  doug seems to have just caught on.

do you see now, doug?? see??? see?!?!?  the reason you are
upset with us is now the reason we were upset with YOU in the first place!!
you know, fight fire with fire and all that.  this is a big first step
for you, and my congratulations.  no kidding here, i'm serious.

the reason we don't want to completely zap you from reading is in case
you might ever say something worthwhile -- you seem to have the potential.

ahhhhhhhhhhh, now we can get back to *discussing* music, not chest-thumping
"XXXX is great, YYYY sucks" like doug seems to have polarized this
group into being.  this is (hopefully, if doug continues this wonderful
progress) my last letter ever on this stupid topic.

	but, is it jazz?

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

>net.hate.  Please post your garbage there, or better yet, go climb back
>into the fetid anal sphincters from you emerged.
touching, doug.  no wonder you have so many friends on the net.  isn't
it time for you to run along to class now, maybe skip the net for
a semester to two?

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (09/03/85)

> The criticisms of me in net.music might have about as much as 3% basis
> in reality (where anyone comes off telling me I don't like Bach, when I
> never ever said such a thing, I dunno...).

Just like your criticisms have as much as 3% basis in reality.  Like when
you made many derogitory comments about my musical tastes in a previous
article without even knowing what I listen to (although I'll give you a
hint, it's not Kate Bush).

>					    I really don't know about
> some people....  they say I post too much about some things, but even
> though they've been provided with "n" keys, kill files, and even a
> program to ignore all postings from me, they still read what I post and
> complain and whine and spew hate at me in public.  It makes you
> wonder....
>
> I'm not going to bother defending myself -- those who like me already do
> and those who hate me already do.  I'd just like to make a request to
> those who have nothing to contribute to net.music other than vitrol
> about me:
>
> At least I still seem to realize that this is net.music and not
> net.hate.

Sure couldn't tell it from this article.

>          Please post your garbage there, or better yet, go climb back
> into the fetid anal sphincters from you emerged.

Case closed.

--

						Russell Spence
						ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (09/03/85)

> From: ron vaughn (...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv)

> IT WORKED!! we finally got through to him.  this IS net.music.

Ron, I have yet to see an article by you in this group that is anything
other than obnoxious flaming about why I am a jerk.  Why does it seem
that it is always the biggest of hypocrites who screams "Hypocrisy!" the
loudest?

> now if we can get him to realize *THE REASON* we all jumped on his
> case was *HE* couldn't remember this is net.music.  he thought it was
> net.why_KB_is_the_best and net.let_me_put_down_artists_with_no_reason
> and on and on.

Every article I have posted to this newsgroup, with the exception of
written lots of stuff about musicians other than Kate Bush, and have
provided plenty of reasons for both why I like the music I like and why
I don't like the music the music I don't like.  Once again, Ron, you
show that your goal here is nothing more than to be a flaming asshole
rather than in reading what other people have to say or in saying
anything yourself.

Discussions of why one likes certain music and dislikes other music
seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to take place in net.music to
me.

I have also spent a good deal of time discussing the philosophy of music
and art and have had in-depth with others in net.music on some of the
music I am interested in.  Then a few people objected, saying "What is
all this in-depth discussion doing here in net.music?  It's clearly not
of general interest because someone who hasn't listened to the music
will have no idea what you are talking about, and therefore this
in-depth stuff has no place in net.music."  Well foo!  If you don't want
to read in-depth discussions of music you don't care about, no one is
forcing you to.  In my opinion, net discussion groups are for the people
who write to them, not the eavesdroppers.  If the eavesdroppers are
interested in listening in, that is fine.  If they are bored with what
is being discussed, then they can either go do something they find more
interesting, or start up teir own discussions on what they are
interested in.  If they want to do nothing other than complain, like you
Ron, then they are just being assinine jerks.

And contrary to your delusions, Ron, I have not once flamed at anyone
who has said "I don't like Kate Bush", or "Nico is better than Kate
Bush", etc., etc., because that is their opinion and they have the right
to it.  I have indeed flamed at the very few people who have said things
like "I hate your guts for making me waste my hard-earned 7 bucks on
this vile piece of horse-shit you drool over.  I will get more pleasure
out of burning this album than anything else in my entire life.  I hope
you drop dead, Doug, and you owe me 7 bucks!"  They deserved the
flaming.

> ahhhhhhhhhhh, now we can get back to *discussing* music,

We?  Ron, you haven't contributed anything.  As soon as you have, maybe
then you can say "we".

> not chest-thumping "XXXX is great, YYYY sucks" like doug seems to have
> polarized this group into being.  this is (hopefully, if doug
> continues this wonderful progress) my last letter ever on this stupid
> topic.

And what is wrong with saying "XXXX is great, YYYY sucks", as long as
one gives reasons and explains where one os coming from?  Personally, I
am motivated to write things I feel strongly about, and don't have much
desire to spend a lot of time writing about music I think is "sort of
nice but it doesn't do a whole lot for me", or "well it's pretty boring,
but I don't find anything particularly awful about it".

> no wonder you have so many friends on the net.  isn't it time for you
> to run along to class now, maybe skip the net for a semester to two?

Actually Ron, the number of people who have sent me nice letters
outnumbers the people who have sent me or posted hate mail by an order
of magnitude.  I have made many friends on the net, and have had many
long and involved discussions with some them.  The music mailing list I
am maintaining has nearly 40 people on it.  And despite a few bad
experiences I have had a lot of fun and met a lot of interesting people
and have received a lot of enlightenment.  Perhaps you are just jealous,
Ron.

			"You'll see, you'll find one in every car"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (09/03/85)

> From: russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence)

> Just like your criticisms have as much as 3% basis in reality.  Like
> when you made many derogitory comments about my musical tastes in a
> previous article without even knowing what I listen to (although I'll
> give you a hint, it's not Kate Bush).

Russell, your message several month ago regarding "The Dreaming" had
nothing interesting to say.  You just went on a tirade about how much
pleasure it would give you to destroy your copy of "The Dreaming" and to
think that there was one less Kate Bush album in the world.  You didn't
give any reasons why you didn't like it, nor any reasons why you think
it should be expunged from the face of the Earth, rather than it just
being something that is not in your tastes.

Your attitude is born-to-lose, Russel, and I don't have to know what
music you listen to to know that you have lousy taste.  Even if all the
music you like is good, you surely can't like it for the right reasons.
Your attitude is ample demonstration of this.

Furthermore, Russel, you informed me that you would take me up on my
offer of a reward for a copy of "The Dreaming" on CD, but that you would
first break it into little pieces and then send it to me.  Clearly you
were being an unnecessarily atagonistic and obnoxious jerk.  If I
responded in kind, it is because I am far from a perfect human being and
tend to treat people the way that they treat me, rather than turning the
other cheek.  I'm very rarely mean to someone who hasn't been mean to me
first, though.

>> [Me:] At least I still seem to realize that this is net.music and not
>> net.hate.

> Sure couldn't tell it from this article.

You are right, you couldn't.  I do indeed *hate* people who hate for no
good reason.  But the vast majority of *my* articles to net.music, are
indeed about music or musicians.  This is opposed to many of my
detractors who have absolutely nothing to say about music in net.music
-- the *only* thing they post is complaints and hate mail.  I know I
shouldn't respond to these obnoxious attacks, because net.music isn't
the proper place for this crap, but like I said, I'm an imperfect human
being, and I can't help but respond sometimes.

			"It may be February,
			 But it's always August under your arms"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

chrisb@haddock.UUCP (09/03/85)

   Come on man, where do you get off puttin' people down? Shouldn't folks be
able to say what the funk they want and then if others don't want to listen,
they don't have ta. Geez!

			 Ac-Cen-Tu-Ate The Positive...