[net.micro] Write Protect Labels for Floppy Disks

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (03/23/86)

In every box of floppies I buy, I get some labels and what might as well be
a lifetime supply of silver or black write protect tabs.  I, and many other
people I know, have drawers full of these silly things that will never be used.

Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does anyone
have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little beasties?
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

mr@isrnix.UUCP (mr) (03/26/86)

]:[

mdf@osu-eddie.uucp writes:

> Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does
> anyone have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little
> beasties?

why, sure...

you can take the little tabs and place them on the keys of your keyboard.

if everyone on the net did it, maybe spelling would improve!

--
                .^.                        michael regoli
                /|\              ...ihnp4!inuxc!isrnix!mr

brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) (03/27/86)

In article <1530@osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
> In every box of floppies I buy, I get some labels and what might as well be
> a lifetime supply of silver or black write protect tabs.  I, and many other
> people I know, have drawers full of these silly things that will never be used.
>
> Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does anyone
> have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little beasties?
> --

In our little group here at Tektronix, we use 'em for
EPROM ID tags (the silver ones anyway...).

Since the Write Protect tags are usually made out of metal foil,
they do a near-perfect job of blocking stray UV radiation.

Felt pens can be used to identify the program contents.

And, they're just the right size to stick on the EPROMS!

Regards,

Brian Rhodefer     .....tektronix!tekig4!brianr

schuler@gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler) (03/27/86)

> In every box of floppies I buy, I get some labels and what might as well be
> a lifetime supply of silver or black write protect tabs.  I, and many other
> people I know, have drawers full of these silly things that will never be used
>
> Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does anyone
> have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little beasties?

Well, you could try using them to protect your disks!  How many times have you
erased *.*, only to find that the ACTIVE disk was the wrong one?

#:-)

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (03/28/86)

In article <1530@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>In every box of floppies I buy, I get some labels and what might as well be
>a lifetime supply of silver or black write protect tabs.  I, and many other
>people I know, have drawers full of these silly things that will never be used.
>
>Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does anyone
>have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little beasties?

	If I am incredibly bored and nothing better to do, I will take
one of my cheap Bic pens, and cover them with silver or gold write
protect tabs.  It makes them look better.

--
-----------------
Michael S. Leibow

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (03/31/86)

> In every box of floppies I buy, I get some labels and what might as well be
> a lifetime supply of silver or black write protect tabs.  I, and many other
> people I know, have drawers full of these silly things that will never be used.
>
> Of course, being die-hard packrats, we'll never throw them away.  Does anyone
> have any interesting ideas for alternative uses for these little beasties?
> --
> < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp
> StrongPoint Systems, Inc.                                   mdf@osu-eddie.arpa
> Guest account at The Ohio State University            ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!mdf
>                                                             mdf@Ohio-State.EDU
> May the farce be with you!

They make great write enable tabs for audio casettes.  On the rear of the
casette (the part that doesn't have tape showing) are two holes with a small
piece of plastic showing.  If this plastic is broken off, the tape is write
protected.  If you have some with this tab broken out, place one of the disk
tabs over it to let you 'write' on it again.