[misc.jobs.resumes] Macintosh wiz seeks employment ASAP

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/30/91)

May 21, 1991

Hello.

My name is Steve Klingsporn, and prior to this current state of unemployment,
I was hired by Apple Computer, Inc. for 2 years in their Rosemont, IL
"Riverway" Sales office.  I am looking for a full-time, salary-based position
in a software or hardware development or support/technical environment.
I am 19 years old, and was hired when I was 17, in high school, by Apple.
I'm a bright and creative individual.  There is virtually nothing that I
cannot do with a Macintosh, and am only interested in a position that uses
Apple's Macintosh products and technology.

I am willing to consider relocation to Silicon Valley, as I plan to
live the majority of my life there, and really see no reason to remain in
Chicago indefinitely, yet will accept a job in Chicago as well.

Please get in touch with me if I sound of interest to you.
My phone # is (708) 251-6288, and I can be reached over the Internet
at klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu.

Thank you for your time,

Steve Klingsporn

Steve Klingsporn
1032 Ashland Avenue
Wilmette, IL  60091
(708) 251-6288
klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (forwarded)
moofie@gagme.chi.il.us (delayed)

Purpose
-------
Acquire a job dealing with Apple Macintosh computers on the
technical level.  Silicon Valley (Apple preferred) or Chicago only, please.

Education
---------
1 year at Colorado State University as a Computer Science major.  Will not
be returning and plan to take a year off (to work) before returning to
a different university.

Computer Experience
-------------------
Apple II, MS-DOS, Macintosh OS, Unix, NeXTstep, Amiga
BASIC, Pascal, C (some), C++ (some/learning), HyperTalk (Apple's HyperCard)
Macintosh applications (great variety), including utilities, DTP, Development
Tools (ResEdit, MPW, SADE, MacsBug, BalloonWriter).
System 7.0

Work Experience
---------------
2 years at Apple Computer, Inc.'s Chicago "Riverway" (Rosemont, IL)
sales office, doing special projects work (HyperCard, DTP, troubleshooting,
hardware upgrades, some management and scheduling work, some phone support).
Employed between 6/89 and 8/90, Thanksgiving/90, Christmas/90-91.  Will not
be returning due to internal restructuring/layoffs/lack of revenue.
I beta-tested AppleLink 6.0, and tested System 7.0 (a9-f3c2).

Overall Knowledge
-----------------
I am extremely bright when it comes to finding solutions to problems, and
implimenting them.  I learn quickly and easily, and am extremely creative.
I understand computers quite well, and would arrogantly state that there
isn't that much I cannot do with a Macintosh.  My Macintosh programming
experience isn't very robust, but I learn well, and program well in general.
I am willing to go through any necessary training, and am not opposed to
learning new concepts.

Goals
-----
To revolutionize personal computing via Apple's R&D/Advanced Technology Group
someday, and eventually start my own personal/intimate computing company in
the same spirit of Apple Computer, Inc.  I believe that the personal computer
is indeed the most important intellectual tool to mankind, as Jean-Louis
Gassee, former head of Apple products once stated.  I want to change the world.

osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) (05/31/91)

Have you ever considered reading the book:  "Blow Your Own Horn"?
I forget the author...

-- James

.------------------------------.--------------------------------------.
| James R. Osborn              | It just goes to show you it's always |
| Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | something.  Either it's baffling     |
| osborn@ux1.lbl.gov           | tech notes or your mac is smoking.   |
| (415) 548-8464               | It's always something...             |
'------------------------------'--------------------------------------'
Sorry I couldn't resist the temptation 8^)

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (06/01/91)

In article <15202@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:

|> May 21, 1991
|>

|> Hello.
|>
|> My name is Steve Klingsporn, and prior to this current state of unemployment,
|> I was hired by Apple Computer, Inc. for 2 years in their Rosemont, IL
|> "Riverway" Sales office.  I am looking for a full-time, salary-based position
|> in a software or hardware development or support/technical environment.
|> I am 19 years old, and was hired when I was 17, in high school, by Apple.
|> I'm a bright and creative individual.  There is virtually nothing that I

[ rest deleted ]

It amazes me at how many "bright and creative" "wiz"zes do not understand
that misc.jobs.offered is for job offers, not their worthless resumes.

rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) (06/03/91)

On 29-May-91 in Macintosh wiz seeks employm..
user Steve Klingsporn@mozart. writes:
>My name is Steve Klingsporn, and prior to this current state of unemployment,
>I was hired by Apple Computer, Inc. for 2 years in their Rosemont, IL
>"Riverway" Sales office.  I am looking for a full-time, salary-based position
>in a software or hardware development or support/technical environment.
>I am 19 years old, and was hired when I was 17, in high school, by Apple.
>I'm a bright and creative individual.  There is virtually nothing that I
>cannot do with a Macintosh, and am only interested in a position that uses
>Apple's Macintosh products and technology.

1)  Was there a reason why you left Apple Computer?  Surely, if you like
programming the Macintosh that much, Apple Computer would be be the
place to be.

2)  Apple Computer does not do any research outside of California so
basically you did not have any programming experience outside of your
own hacking?

3)  Does this mean that you know the concepts of OOP and MacAPP type
development?

Rich Chung

Student/Research Programmer
The PREP Editor Project
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu
rlc+@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/04/91)

In article <kcGYNuy00UhBA4ql00@andrew.cmu.edu>, rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Richard Lee Chung) writes...

To Mr. Chung and whomever else feels a burning desire to humiliate
an enthusiastic 19-year-old:  how about taking it to e-mail?

I would rather read a dozen mis-placed resumes from a "bright and
creative individual" than a single cynical sucker punch at the
expense of a decent young man whose posting was obviously sincere.

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/04/91)

In article <kcGYNuy00UhBA4ql00@andrew.cmu.edu> rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:

>2)  Apple Computer does not do any research outside of California ...

This isn't true. Apple does research in at least 3 places outside
of California. Two of these places are even outside of the United
States.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (06/05/91)

In article <kcGYNuy00UhBA4ql00@andrew.cmu.edu>, rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:

> On 29-May-91 in Macintosh wiz seeks employm..
> user Steve Klingsporn@mozart. writes:
> >My name is Steve Klingsporn, and prior to this current state of unemployment,
> >I was hired by Apple Computer, Inc. for 2 years in their Rosemont, IL
> >"Riverway" Sales office.  I am looking for a full-time, salary-based position
> >in a software or hardware development or support/technical environment.
> >I am 19 years old, and was hired when I was 17, in high school, by Apple.
> >I'm a bright and creative individual.  There is virtually nothing that I
> >cannot do with a Macintosh, and am only interested in a position that uses
> >Apple's Macintosh products and technology.
>

> 1)  Was there a reason why you left Apple Computer?  Surely, if you like
> programming the Macintosh that much, Apple Computer would be be the
> place to be.

I believe that Steve was "laid off." The "Riverway" office was closed, and
I believe that he worked there.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

mcculley@alien.enet.dec.com (06/06/91)

In <kcGYNuy00UhBA4ql00@andrew.cmu.edu> rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:

>2)  Apple Computer does not do any research outside of California ...

Mr. Chung then goes one to question whether the original poster in this thread
could have any experience other than his own personal hacking.

I'm surprised that anybody on the net, even from a .EDU domain, would confuse
"research" (or perhaps even "product development") with "programming
experience" or even "software engineering".

Truth is, the folks in the field offices often know as much or more about the
innards of products as the folks who developed them.  Folks in field offices
get to help real customers do real work, something folks in .edu-land probably
don't understand very well :-), and this means designing applications,
implementing systems, and diagnosing problems with base products and customer
code too.  For my money, a *-> good <-* technical background in the field is a
whole helluva lot better experience than the same time in product development.

BTW, I've been earning a living in this business for over twenty years, and
I've been with Digital for over ten.  I've had experience both in the field and
in corporate Central Engineering.  My opinions are based on that, so of course
I think they're well-founded.

-- Bruce McCulley
   Digital Equipment Corporation
   Corporate Software Engineering
  (employed by but not speaking for
   Digital Equipment Corporation)

robyns%sundry@atc.boeing.com (Robyn Spady) (06/07/91)

In article <13741@dog.ee.lbl.gov> osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) writes:

>Have you ever considered reading the book:  "Blow Your Own Horn"?
>I forget the author...
>
>-- James

Also, please take note that this conference is "misc.jobs.offered" and that
by posting a self-absorbed announcement that you're seeking employment
in the WRONG conference indicates that you cannot follow direction.

ksand@apple.com (Kent Sandvik) (06/07/91)

In article <23199@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, mcculley@alien.enet.dec.com writes:

> Truth is, the folks in the field offices often know as much or more about the
> innards of products as the folks who developed them.  Folks in field offices
> get to help real customers do real work, something folks in .edu-land probably
> don't understand very well :-), and this means designing applications,
> implementing systems, and diagnosing problems with base products and customer
> code too.  For my money, a *-> good <-* technical background in the field is a
> whole helluva lot better experience than the same time in product development.

Speaking as a former Apple field engineering person and before that a former R&D
guy it is really up to each person what they will learn about the Macintosh technology
in the field: programming, systems support, solution issues, comms, hardware or plain
customer question answering. Some people love programming, others are just happy
when they fix hardware or speak with customers about solutions.

Kent
----
Private opinions, not company-sponsored.