[comp.software-eng] Writing while listening to music

rob@amadeus.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (02/14/88)

In article <1110@cpocd2.UUCP> nate@cpocd2.UUCP (Nathan Hess) writes:
>In article <2260@gryphon.CTS.COM> tsmith@gryphon.CTS.COM (Tim Smith) writes:
>>I find that I can write code (any language) very well while listening
>>to music (just about any kind), but cannot write coherent English while
>>listening to music (even purely instrumental music). I don't know if
>>this is a purely idiosyncratic foible, or is widespread. Any comments?
>
>The same is true for me.  I can also do math, chemistry, physics, etc.
>while listening to music, (including reading texts involving any
>combination of these subjects) but I can't write *or* read literary
>papers, poetry, etc. in the presense of music.
>
>So it's still probably an idiosyncratic foible, but you're not the only
>one in the world who displays it, Tim.  :-)#

Just a guess, but I would say that you're experiencing a kind of left brain/
right brain phenomenon.  Left/right brain effects can (and have) been
over-emphasised in the popular press but the effects are real.

Just make sure that your left brain knows what your right brain is doing. :-)

---
Dan Tilque  --  dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM

"You can lead a yak to water but you can't teach an old dog to make a silk
purse out of a pig in a poke."		-- Opus

.
	-Rob

	"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOUR'S EXCEPT EUROPA.
	ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.  USE THEM IN PEACE."