[comp.software-eng] SAS C compiler

john@metavax.UUCP (John Mitchell ) (02/29/88)

In article <34588UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>SAS is a million lines of source, and is written in C, though I believe
>it is a traslation from the original PL/1.  They must have some extra
>tools they use--are they homebrew or commercial?

My understanding is that SAS develops on IBM systems.  A few years ago they
decided to convert their software to C, but there was not an adequate C
compiler available on IBM mainframes.  So they ported the Lattice C compiler
to IBM VM/CMS and MVS/TSO,  this compiler was so successful internally that
SAS decided to market it as a product.

This compiler creates object code and has its own link editor that allows
you to link in one subroutine from a source file that contains many
subroutines.  I am not affiliated with SAS in any way, other than as a
customer.  These are my own views, and are not necessarily shared by my
employer.

john