[comp.software-eng] why software is different

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (03/10/88)

In article <2541@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> neff@Shasta.UUCP (Randall Neff) writes:

>State-of-the-practice in Hardware:
>...the first parts produced USUALLY work correctly...
>
>State-of-the-practice in Software:
>... [usually doesnt]...

As one who advocates carefully planned and controlled software
projects, I offer the following observations on why some projects are
run on a crash basis, and why poor or unstable software is shipped.

     1) Software follows hardware.  People will not push as hard for
	new hardware if there is no software to drive it, but once the
	hardware is ready, WE NEED THAT SOFTWARE NOW.

	A related issue is that in a hardware/software combined
	project, the end date will often be fixed, and if the hardware
	portion runs so late as to impact software testing, there will
	be greater time pressure on the software team.

     2) Companies know the real cost of shipping defective
	hardware.  You gotta recall the equipment, extract the
	offending piece, replace it, or cut/add traces, etc.  There are
	real identifyable costs involved in shipping, reworking, spare
	parts, etc.  For software, the effects SEEM less costly.  Mail
	another diskette or tape.

     3) There is a perception that everybody ships software before
	its time.  A company has to decide whether to also ship
	prematurely, or take the time to do it right and suffer the
	real/imagined opportunity cost of being the last one to
	announce/deliver the product.  The people who shipped the
	shoddy software months ago may have had to ship several
	updates, BUT THEY GOT THE SALE.

My own feelings are that the carefully planned and controlled project
should produce quality software just as quickly as a rush job could
produce shoddy software.  The problem may be that upper management may
see a schedule that includes X months for planning, designing, and
specifications, X months for CODING, and X months for integration,
testing, etc, and wonder why it should take 3X months to finish the
project when all the "real work" only takes X.

DISCLAIMER:  ANYTHING ATTRIBUTED TO 'MANAGEMENT' OR 'COMPANY' IN THIS
ARTICLE DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE OPINION OF THE MANAGEMENT OF
BUNKER RAMO OR OLIVETTI.

In fact I know that my management takes software quality as seriously
as I do.  My observations here are based on broad experience of over
ten years.
--
Joe Shapiro					"My other car is a turbo...