Date: 19 February 88 11:16-PAC
From: COSTEST%IDUI1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: CASE tool usage

I'm interested in investigating the degree to which the current
generation of CASE tool products are actually being used in software
development organizations.  Examples of the tools that I have in mind
follow (this in not intended to be a thorough list):

     Excelerator from Index Technology
     IEW/Analysis Workbench and Design Workbench from KnowledgeWare
     Teamwork from Cadre

These products have been on the market for several years.  But, despite
considerable advertising and marketing efforts by the vendors and a
lot of articles devoted to CASE in the journals and trade
publications, the contacts that I've made with industry indicates to
me that CASE isn't making its way into the software development
organizations.  Have you seen similar indications?

Another interesting reaction that I've seen is that many software
developers view CASE tools as not being appropriate for analysts and
software developers to use directly.  Rather, they view them as
appropriate for a "software technician" to use under the general
guidance of the analyst or designer.  The analyst/designer would
rather spend his/her time "sketching" on paper, then let the
technician worry about how to get it represented effectively with the
CASE tool.  My own recent experience in evaluating one of the
KnowledgeWare products (for the March issue of IEEE Software) tended
to support this observation.  I found that I spent too much time
trying to get data flow diagrams to "look right" rather than spending
my time on the technical issues.  Has anyone experienced a similar
situation?

For those who have not had direct experience in using CASE tools I'd
be interested in your reaction to the products that are currently on
the market.  Specifically, if there is a reason why you (or your
organization) don't use CASE tools, I'd like to know about it.

Finally, for those people in organizations that have developed their
own CASE tools can you give me some insight into what advantages
and/or disadvantages your in-house tools have?  Are the current,
commercially available tools deficient in some way?

Bill Junk, Computer Science Dept., University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
83843     (208) 885-7530

E-Mail:   COSTEST at IDUI1 on BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 10:03 EDT
From: <CLSTAM01%ULKYVX.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: C Portability Metrics

I am working on a thesis dealing with C portability between ULTRIX and
UNIX System V.  Do you know of any C portability metrics?  Please send
reply thru gmail.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 17:08:02 EST
From: nigam@mitre.arpa
Subject: Fourth Generation Language (4GL) Assessment

I am investigating the use of fourth generation languages in
large software projects.  I am interested in specific
experiences, and information on the factors which affect the
success or failure of such projects, such as type of
application, complexity, language selected, and
characteristics of data base.  I would also like to hear
about the availability of software engineering tools and
techniques for 4GLs, software development life-cycle models,
and other issues relating to the use of 4GLs.

If you can recommend any material on this subject, or have
experiences of your own you are willing to share, please send
me a note.  Thanks.

Alok C. Nigam                     ARPA: nigam@mitre.arpa
The MITRE Corporation             Phone: (703) 883-6751
7525 Colshire Drive
McLean. VA 22102-3481

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 88 14:41:18 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpf!warren@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Montgomery)
Subject: Is it Art or Engineering?

The question of whether software art or software engineering more
correctly describes what software people do is age old.  While
software development has aspects of both to it, I'd like to suggest
that the dominant aspect for any large project is neither, it's
management of complexity.

In large systems, there are tasks that are clearly engineering.
Picking data structures and algorithms to achieve a desired level of
fault tolerance is one that comes to mind, as is figuring out how to
cope with widely varying loads with acceptible performance.

The enterprise that to me most clearly models a software development
is that of publishing a large multi-author document, such as a
newspaper, a magazine, or an encyclopaedia.  There is a large part
of the input that is creative in nature, both in determining overall
structure and in filling in the sections.  There are also many
specialized sub-problems, such as page layout, printing, production
of figures, obtaining the rights to material taken from other
sources, etc.  A lousy product will be produced if the basic
creative talent of the people who must supply it isn't up to the
task.  The best printing and layout in the world won't sell a
newspaper with poor writers.  Assuming that this is taken care of,
though, the dominant concern is managing the thousands of individual
tasks involved so that they come together when required to make a
product.

Warren Montgomery ihlpf!warren

------------------------------

Date: 13 Feb 88 01:42:20 GMT
From: noise@eneevax.umd.edu  (Johnson Noise)

In article <1879@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>Engineers typically work with known quantities and predictable results.
>What they're doing has usually been done before and is well understood.
>(e.g.:  We've built a lot of office buildings.  We know how long it takes
>to put up girders and floors and wiring.  There are tables of beam sizes
>and riveting codes, etc.).  That's why PERT charts work so well with
>engineering projects.

	I think you are quite wrong.  There are many types of buildings
that have not been designed or built (e.g. sufficient structure to with-
stand natural forces etc.), but what do I know? I'm an electrical clown
myself.

>Software designers/builders, on the other hand, are usually doing something
>that hasn't been done before.  If it had been, why do it again?  Why not
>just copy it?  (It's a bit difficult to copy an office building (-: ).

	Uh, no.  Think about the algorithms that are commonly used in
most programs. I think you will find that most of the ideas were
conceived 20-30 years ago.  I am not suggesting that new techniques are
not discovered or "designed", but think about it.

>Software is a more creative, seat-of-the-pants endeavor than "hard"
>engineering.  There are no tables of beam strengths or fluid flows to
>refer to.  There are standard references for limited types of algorithms
>and these generally are copied rather than built from scratch.  But the
>reason for any new software project is to make a computer do something it
>hasn't done before.  There are many unknowns in such an undertaking, which
>is why the PERT model doesn't fit software development very well.  There's
>still some art to it.

	I think you should spend a little more time on the other end of
your RS-232 cable before making such a statement.  I am an electrical
engineer, but I have been programming for almost as long.  I try to look
at both worlds and I think that there not enough poeple with open minds.
Philosophy about man-machine interaction is useful, but a machine is still
a machine, and man is not.
	There has been change. In machines it is mostly speed, not concepts.
In programs, mostly nomenclature.  We are not programmers any more, we
software engineers.  Fortran, LISP, SNOBOL, Unix, they are all very important
milestones, but not of this generation.  What more has been accomplished
through the change of names?  Not nearly as much.  We should focus more on
what to do, how to do it, and not the labels.
	Art is subjective, and that can't be changed.  A friend of mine is
making the final fixes to a 500MW pulsed power modulator.  He designed it,
built it, and will sign it like any artist would.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 14:59:08 GMT
From: uh2@psuvm.bitnet  (Lee Sailer)

In article <1553@ogcvax.UUCP>, pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) says:

>In article <hpisod2.16520001> decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>>I agree that the distinguishing characteristic between what this
>>"industry" does and engineering is the general unexpectation that what
>>is produced will perform exactly as specified.
>                                  ^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>
>There's the rub.  If we had a notation sufficiently precise to completely
>specify what our programs were supposed to do, we would use this specification
>language as a programming language, write a compiler, and then they would
>perform exactly as specified.  Denotational semantics has been pushed in that

Yes, but...

A specification language would specify exactly *what* was to be done,
but not necessarily *how*.  E.g., "...ans sort the file in less than
5 seconds..." is a specification, but not a compilable program.

Of course, languages like Prolog are moving that way...

                                                       lee

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 13:37:29 PST
From: Jennifer Dyck <dyck@csufresno.edu>
Subject: Call for Papers: HICSS 22

                     CALL FOR PAPERS AND REFEREES

       HAWAII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM SCIENCES - 22

              COGNITIVE ASPECTS OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT

               KAILUA-KONA, HAWAII - JANUARY 3-6, 1989

The Software Track of HICSS-22 will contain a special  set  of  papers
focusing  on   a  broad  selection of topics  in the area of Cognitive
Aspects of Software Development.  The  presentations  will  provide  a
forum  to  discuss  new  advances in theory and applications in human-
computer interaction (HCI).  In particular, this session concerns  the
application  of HCI research to the solution of a fundamental software
engineering problem: improving human productivity. The field of HCI is
sufficiently  broad to include investigations of user interfaces, pro-
gramming language factors that influence code development,  and  human
problem solving and system design techniques.

Papers  are  invited  that  may  be  theoretical, conceptual, tutorial
or  descriptive  in  nature.   Those papers selected  for presentation
will appear  in  the  Conference Proceedings which  is  published   by
the  Computer   Society  of  the  IEEE.   HICSS-22 is sponsored by the
University of Hawaii  in  cooperation  with   the  ACM,  the  Computer
Society,  and  the Pacific Research Institute for  Information Systems
and Management (PRIISM).  Submissions are solicited in:

*   Recent developments in interface design.

*   Methods for maximizing acquisition of programming skill.

*   Models of human problem solving and their relation to software design.

*   Empirical comparisons of existing interface technologies.

*   Expert-novice differences with respect to use of operating systems and
    programming languages.

*   Empirical results of teaching and using software design techniques.

*   Aspects of programming language design that affect productivity,
    maintainability, and reliability.

*   Mental models of operating systems and the implications for learning
    and design.

*   Transfer of training and experience between systems.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING PAPERS

Manuscripts  should  be  22-26  typewritten,  double-spaced  pages  in
length.    Do not send submissions  that are significantly shorter  or
longer than  this.  Papers must  not  have been previously   presented
or  published,  nor   currently  submitted  for  journal  publication.
Each  manuscript  will  be  put through a  rigorous  refereeing   pro-
cess.   Manuscripts  paper should have a title page that  includes the
title of the paper, full  name  of   its  author(s),   affiliation(s),
complete  physical  and electronic  address(es),  telephone  number(s)
and a  300-word abstract of the paper.

DEADLINES
     *   A 300-word abstract is due by March 30, 1988.
     *   Feedback to author concerning abstract by April 15, 1988.
     *   Six copies  of the  manuscript are  due by  June 6, 1988.
     *   Notification  of accepted  papers  by September  1, 1988.
     *   Accepted manuscripts, camera-ready,  are due by October 3, 1988.

SEND SUBMISSIONS AND QUESTIONS TO

     Dr. Brent Auernheimer              Dr. Jennifer L. Dyck
     Computer Science Department        Psychology Department
     California State University        California State University
     Fresno, CA 93740-0109              Fresno, CA 93740-0011
     (209) 294-4373                     (209) 294-2691
     csnet: brent@CSUFresno.edu         csnet: dyck@CSUFresno.edu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 88 15:25:12 PST (Wednesday)
From: "Alan_T._Cote.OsbuSouth"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Call For Papers: MIDCON/88

I have been asked to chair a technical session at MIDCON/88.  The intended
topics for the session range from methods for management of a distributed
software development environment to software engineering methodologies and
strategies.

Admittedly, the time is short.  I've only just received the details given below,
or I'd have posted sooner.  If you plan to submit a paper, would you be kind
enough to respond to this message by E-mail?  My receipt of the DL may be
occasional, at best.

Please feel free to REDISTRIBUTE THIS MESSAGE as you see fit.

Thanks to all who respond.

	- Alan T. Cote'
and Chicago ERA Chapters and Central U.S. ERA Council

August 30 - September 1, 1988
Dallas, Texas

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Papers describing original work, tutorials, or reviews are solicited for a 25
minute presentation and printing in the Conference Digest for topics related
to Software Engineering and the Distributed Development Environment.

Student papers are encouraged.

INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS:

Authors are requested to submit two copies of a one page summary (single
sided; 500 words maximum) which clearly describes the work, and at most
two additional pages of figures, drawings, and references.

The summary should clearly state:

a)  the purpose of this reported work
b)  the manner and degree to which this work contributes to the art
c)  specific results and their significance

Each page should include the following information:

1)  title of paper
2)  name, mailing address, and telephone number of primary author
3)  name, affiliations, city, state, country of additional authors
4)  person to whom correspondence should be sent if other than primary
     author

DEADLINE

These materials should be sent by 25 February, 1988 to:

Midcon/88 Technical Conference Committee
c/o Electronic Conventions Management
    Educational Activities Department
    8110 Airport Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA  90045

Appropriate company and government clearances must be obtained prior to
this date for both summary and paper.

ACCEPTANCE AND TIMETABLES

Authors will be notified of the Committee's decision on acceptance by mid-
March, 1988.  Authors of accepted papers will receive an author's kit with
instructions for the preparation of the camera-ready copy (four pages
maximum) of the paper to be published in the Midcon/88 Conference Digest.

The camera-ready copy will be due May 27, 1988.

Other information can be obtained from:

Alan T. Cote'
Xerox Corporation
Mail Stop ESM4-53
401 Coral Circle
El Segundo, CA  90245
(213) 333-9288
(see return address, above, for E-mail)

TECHNICAL CONFERENCE CHAIRMAN
Alton L. Estes
Texas Instruments Incorporated
GaAs Operations
Defense Systems & Electronics Group
Mail Stop 404
P. O. Box 655474
Dallas, Texas  75265
(214) 995-5230

TECHNICAL CONFERENCE VICE CHAIRMAN
John Barnett, Jr., P.E.
Texas Instruments Incorporated
System Engineering
Semiconductor Group
Mail Stop 8201
P. O. Box 655303
Dallas, Texas 75265
(214) 995-3000

------------------------------

End of Soft-Eng Digest
******************************
-------

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (03/11/88)

In Soft-Eng Digest V4 #10:
>Subject: CASE tool usage
>
>I'm interested in investigating the degree to which the current
>generation of CASE tool products are actually being used in software
>development organizations.

This subject is probably of sufficiently general interest for an open
discussion in this newsgroup;  I vote that respondents post instead of
mailing.

Charles Lambert
Data Logic UK