[comp.software-eng] Object Oriented Design, Top down design of the 90's?

csm@garnet.berkeley.edu (03/25/88)

In article <2045@munnari.oz> taso@munnari.oz (Taso Hatzi) writes:
>I am seeking comment on the following questions from people who have
>had success with any object oriented design methodology.
> o What design documentation did you need and what form did it take?
> o What characterizes a properly designed system?
> o Do there exist any well known object oriented design methodologies?

A few more succinct questions:
   * Doesn't each object created necessitate the creation of a whole slew
   of related actions (read procedures) that apply only to that object?
   * If each object created results in n > 1 modules, doesn't
   complexity increase geometrically with the number of objects?
   * Is the C++ programming language really as obtuse as the manual?

I ask these questions out of ignorance; not arrogance.

		-Brad Sherman

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/26/88)

In article <7979@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, csm@garnet.berkeley.edu says:

>   * Doesn't each object created necessitate the creation of a whole slew
>   of related actions (read procedures) that apply only to that object?

Usually, NO.  Remeber that objects are grouped hierarchically, and that
an object can inherit procedures from its parent(s).  If the object needs
a novel or unique "action" that is differetn from the parent's, then
it can be implemented, and it superscedes the old one.