[net.micro] Multiplan question

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (03/21/86)

I hope that net.micro is the appropriate place for a question
about a problem using the Multiplan spreadsheet.  Here goes . . .

I have Multiplan available to me on several different machines
and operating systems.  At the office I use it on an Altos running
Xenix.  At home it's running on a Burroughs B25 workstation under
BTOS.

Here is my problem.  I would like to be able to take copies of
my spreadsheet files from the office and load them into my computer
at home so that I can continue my work at home on occasion [no
wisecracks about being a workaholic, please! :-)].  I have tried
doing this.  I have no problem physically transferring the file to
the B25, but when I try to load the data file into Multiplan
at home, I get an error message telling me that it is not a
Multiplan file.  Apparently Multiplan saves its files in different
formats on the two different operating systems.  Is there any
way in Multiplan to make it save the file in a format that will
be portable to the other machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Westfall		      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
Univ. of Chicago
Graduate School of Business

ac4@pucc-j (Tom Putnam) (03/24/86)

In article <381@gargoyle.UUCP> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
>Here is my problem.  I would like to be able to take copies of
>my spreadsheet files from the office and load them into my computer
>at home so that I can continue my work at home on occasion
>...  Apparently Multiplan saves its files in different
>formats on the two different operating systems.  Is there any
>way in Multiplan to make it save the file in a format that will
>be portable to the other machine?

Check in your Transfer Options menu.  You will find the "mode" options:
Normal Symbolic.  Symbolic mode causes the Transfer operations to be done in
a character symbolic form instead of a machine dependent binary form.  You
must set the Symbolic mode before writing the spreadsheet on one machine, and
you must also set it before reading the symbolic worksheet on the other
machine.

I have done this successfully between a 4.2 BSD UNIX system running the
version of Multiplan from the Santa Cruz Operation, and an IBM PC version.
--
Tom Putnam				Manager of User Services
ARPANET: ac4@asc.Purdue.EDU		Purdue University Computing Center

billw@felix.UUCP (Bill Weinberger) (03/25/86)

In article <381@gargoyle.UUCP> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:

>   I have Multiplan available to me on ...  an Altos running
>   Xenix.  At home ...on a Burroughs B25 workstation under BTOS.
>
>   ...  Apparently Multiplan saves its files in different
>   formats on the two different operating systems.  Is there any
>   way in Multiplan to make it save the file in a format that will
>   be portable to the other machine?

The first thing I would try is to save the file in SYmbolic LinK (SYLK)
format.  This is an ASCII version of the spreadsheet that preserves
pretty much all of the information, including format.  To do this, set
T)ransfer O)ptions S)ymbolic before you save (and then load) the file.

I have no doubt that you might have problems in format compatibility
between the Burroughs machine and anything else (they "Burroughs'd"
all of the software they released on this not-compatible-with-anything
computer, don't blame Microsoft).  I don't exactly think of the B25 as
a home computer.

Regards, Bill Weinberger
FileNet Corporation       ...! {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !trwrb!felix!billw

jay@ethos.UUCP (Jay Denebeim) (03/25/86)

In article <381@gargoyle.UUCP> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
>Is there any
>way in Multiplan to make it save the file in a format that will
>be portable to the other machine?

	Yes there is, although I've never used either of the multi-plans in
question, there should be a way.  In the transfer options menu there is a way
to change the way the file is saved to SYLK format.  This is Microsoft's
program/device independent file format.  You can load stuff into chart or
another machine with this option.  All the information in the spreadsheet is
stored, so you won't loose anything.  It does however cause the save/load to
take about 5 times longer.

--
Jay Denebeim				"One world, one egg, one basket."
  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!jay

STEVEH@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stephen C. Hill) (04/02/86)

Don't just blame Burroughs.  I have two vanilla Multiplans (one
CP/M and the other one for MS/DOS) and they don't have the same
internal format.  I had to use the SYLK trick myself.  I find
this difficult to understand, since I can see no user interface
changes, so I can't see why they would want to change the
internal format.