[comp.software-eng] Logic and symbolic programming

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (04/10/88)

A CS student posted that he doubted that PROLOG and LISP, though
"fun", would be much use to him when he got a job.

Just for one example, current research in Database Systems clearly
indicates that logic programming and database programming are converging.
A person with some knowledge of Prolog, say, will be much better able
to learn and use SQL or QUEL (current major database languages).

thomsen@trwspf.TRW.COM (Mark Thomsen) (04/13/88)

In article <38799UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>A CS student posted that he doubted that PROLOG and LISP, though
>"fun", would be much use to him when he got a job.
>
>Just for one example, current research in Database Systems clearly
>indicates that logic programming and database programming are converging.
>A person with some knowledge of Prolog, say, will be much better able
>to learn and use SQL or QUEL (current major database languages).

I should hope by now that there are a lot of jobs out there that require
LISP, based on the number of Lisp machines that are being sold and based on
its acceptance by the major computer manufacturers.  (Trivia question: What
is the largest computer manufacturer in terms of number of machines or in
terms of revenue who doesn't either sell their own Lisp or have a few 3rd
party Lisps?).

I agree with the assessment of PROLOG as a basis for understanding where DB
technology has evolved to.  I presume that the question was not whether
learning a language such as Prolog is of benefit if you don't program in it -
learning new programming paradigms is practically always worth the effort for
a professional software engineer or computer scientist.  I would add that
Prolog may be a language whose time in the sun has arrived.  Goal-directed
programming techniques are coming to the forefront again, and blackboards are
commonly showing up in industry.  Around my niche anyway.  We are seriously
investigating integrating Prolog into systems environments for applications.
While you won't have as many job opportunities as if you are an "Ada program-
mer" or even a "Lisp programmer", there will be an increasing number of
jobs where Prolog programming is useful.

By the by, with few exceptions most of the opportunities to use symbolic
programming languages come in context of integrating with procedural and
number crunching processes.  I usually find pure Lisp and Prolog situations
to smack of ivory tower situations - as an emperical observation.

                                   Mark R. Thomsen
                                   TRW Space and Defense Sector
                                   Redondo Beach, CA

shebs%defun.utah.edu.uucp@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) (04/14/88)

In article <727@trwspf.TRW.COM> thomsen@trwspf.UUCP (Mark Thomsen) writes:

>I should hope by now that there are a lot of jobs out there that require
>LISP, based on the number of Lisp machines that are being sold and based on
>its acceptance by the major computer manufacturers.

There's not as many as you might think - nearly all of the Lisp-related work
is in research and not in product development, and I've seen/heard about large
numbers of Lisp machines sitting idle or turned off, in favor of the more
conventional workstations.  Not a strong trend, but just enough movement
that one should be wary...

>[...]  I would add that
>Prolog may be a language whose time in the sun has arrived.

Prolog's time in the sun may be very shortlived (for a variety of reasons),
but no doubt I'm just being pessimistic.

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu