[comp.software-eng] UNIX SHELL AS 4GL

rsp@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Steve Price) (06/15/88)

Without permission, for your edification & entertainment I post this quotation:

    UNIX Shell is the Best Fourth Generation Programming Language

    It is the UNIX shell that makes it possible to do applications in a small
    fraction of the code and time it takes in third generation languages.  In
    the shell you process whole files at a time, instead of only a line at a
    time.  And, a line of code in the UNIX shell is one or more programs,
    which do more than pages of instructions in a 3GL.  Applications can be
    developed in hours and days, rather than months and years with traditional
    systems.  Most of the other 4GLs available today look more like COBOL or
    RPG, the most tedious of the third generation lanaguages.

"UNIX Relational Database Management:  Application Development in the UNIX
 Environment" by Rod Manis, Evan Schaffer, and Robert Jorgensen.  Prentice
 Hall Software Series.  Brian Kerrighan, Advisor.  1988.

 Steve Price
 pacbell!pbhyf!rsp

raveling@vaxa.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (07/01/88)

In article <3475@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rsp@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Steve Price) writes:
>Without permission, for your edification & entertainment I post this quotation:
>
>    UNIX Shell is the Best Fourth Generation Programming Language
>
>    It is the UNIX shell that makes it possible to do applications in a small
>    fraction of the code and time it takes in third generation languages.  In
>    the shell you process whole files at a time, instead of only a line at a
>    time.  And, a line of code in the UNIX shell is one or more programs,
>    which do more than pages of instructions in a 3GL.  Applications can be
>    developed in hours and days, rather than months and years with traditional
>    systems.  Most of the other 4GLs available today look more like COBOL or
>    RPG, the most tedious of the third generation lanaguages.

	This is a good candidate for funniest computing quote --
	even better than the one where IBM claimed it invented
	virtual memory.  Should be worth cross-posting to rec.humor.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu