[comp.software-eng] Shh, I'm working

lamere@cg-atla.UUCP (Paul Lamere) (08/24/88)

In article <1046@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM> wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) writes:
>Relevant to the ongoing discussions of cubicles, quiet and other office and
>environment factors important to software engineering:
>
>Tom DeMarco & Tim Lister have a book out called PEOPLEWARE: PRODUCTIVE
>PROJECTS AND TEAMS.

	I strongly agree, this is the definitive work on how to arrange
	furniture on a software project.   In addition to workspace
	management, DeMarco talks about many other non-technical things
	that can make or break a software project.

	High points are:

		o The importance of a focus on Quality vs. a focus on
		  schedules

		o Techniques and benefits of team building

		o Methods of motivation

	This book is the best thing I've read on software project
	management since "The Mythical Man Month".  This really is a
	book to sneak into your managers office.
--
----
Paul Lamere						decvax!cg-atla!lamere

electrohome@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Joe Buccino) (09/05/88)

At my previous job, people had shared cubicles, at which all but "official"
business was performed (often crowded in by stacks of paper or unwanted
equipment).  The great debate over the past 6 months was over how to
distribute the few window cubicles (about 18 of 40) amongst the different
teams and personnel.  Privacy was non-existent.  Background noise was
beyond what I would consider comfortable in most cases; I had a pair of
earplugs that were essential to being able to think creatively.  And, to
address the initial issue, there was no room or area where you could go to
get away from all of the commotion; instead, this company that prided itself
on being a "billion-dollar-a-year" company took all of their remaining space
and built more offices for more managers while cramming the plebes closer and
closer together.  That's one of the many reasons why I was able to
address this as "my previous job".

                                        - Carlo Sgro
                                          watmath!watcgl!electrohome

P.S.  I don't have to worry about my previous employer reading this;  they
      don't believe that there may be life beyond their Ethernet.