[comp.software-eng] Version control across machines

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (09/01/88)

Now that we're _finally_ getting into SCCS here, things are getting more
organized as far as version control.  However, when we port something
to another machine, what do you do?  What I'm asking is, are there any
references on how to keep version control between machines manageable?
If there aren't, how do you people out there do it?  With all these Unix
boxes around and plenty of people doing this sort of thing, I'm hoping
somebody has made it less of a nightmare than it has been for us in the past.

--
Michael Sullivan				{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc. Santa Ana, CA			sullivan@vsi.com

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/03/88)

In article <832@vsi.UUCP> sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
>What I'm asking is, are there any
>references on how to keep version control between machines manageable?

I don't know how they do it, but here's one work-around.

Keep your master versions on a single machine that we will call the
"home" machine.  Transfer them to any other machine, but once a day (or
once a week, etc.) move everything back to the home machine and check
it in as a new version in an appropriate branch.  Software development
continues on the other machines and on those machines you could
continue to do version control locally.  Several quick revisions on a
remote machine might correspond to only one revision on the home
machine.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (09/07/88)

In article <832@vsi.UUCP>, sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
> What I'm asking is, are there any
> references on how to keep version control between machines manageable?

This is really a sticky problem for us.  We have a horizontal application (a
report writer/data analysis tool) that runs on PC's, Unix/Xenix, and VAX/VMS.
We've been struggling for a long time trying to manage source code control.
What we currently have isn't the best but it seems to work.  Since we like
to do most of our development on PC's, each of the 5 developers has a 286 MS-
DOS machine connected via Starlan to an AT&T 3B2 server.  Starlan lets us
access the 3B2 Unix file system as remote DOS drives.  This provides for
transparency between Unix & DOS.

We maintain the One True Source on the 3B2 and use a Make file and shell
scripts to keep track of the date/time things were last updated on a
particular machine.  Anytime any changes are made in one of the other env-
ironments, we update the One True Source to reflect this (with conditional
compilations, etc.)  Then as the need arises, we use the Makefile to update
the other target systems.

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: {harvard!adelie,gatech!petro}!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. "Lots of people without brains do alot of talking"