[comp.software-eng] Cynic's Guide to SE #6: Forthcoming Revolt

neff@helens.Stanford.EDU (Randall B. Neff) (09/30/88)

------		The Cynic's Guide to Software Engineering		------
------ an invitation to dialogue, starting with the personal view of	------
------		    Randall Neff @ sierra.stanford.edu			------
------	        	Sept 29, 1988   	part 6			------
  	The Coming Revolt in CS Education and the CS Workplace

The incredible rate of innovation and product development in the personal
computer market has resulted in greatly improved user interfaces for
most home computers.    These interfaces are available on operating
systems (Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows),  application software
(spreadsheets, databases, and desktop publishing), programming
environments (Lightspeed languages and the Turbo languages), and hypertext
tools (Apple Hypercard).   These user interfaces and programs are better and
more productive than the interfaces available on most undergraduate computer
systems and most computer systems in the workplace.  The provided workplace
computers may have more raw cpu power and memory, but still be much harder
to use.

Aphorisms:
    If your hardware does not support a mouse, then it is obsolete.
    If your software does not support a mouse, then it, too, is obsolete.
    If your hardware does not support color graphics, windows, menus, then it
	is obsolete.
    If your software does not support color graphics, windows, menus, then it,
	too, is obsolete.
    Batch processing:  making people wait in order to minimize computer cycles.

Scenario 1:
    An undergraduate student comes to Stanford to learn Computer Science,
    paying $4,100 for the quarter.  At home he has a typical personal computer
    (say a Mac with standard software).  For his CS homework he gets to use
    a cheap glass teletype terminal connected to a DEC-20 running TOPS-20
    using EMACS and batch compilers.   For upper level courses he gets the
    same terminal connected to an overloaded VAX running UNIX using vi and
    batch compilers.    Now, how can this student take Computer Science
    seriously when the provided hardware and software is so old-fashioned?

Scenario 2:
    A new grad joins a large, multi-billion dollar corporation as a programmer.
    He gets a cheap glass teletype connected to a large mainframe running
    an old operating system (VMS or CMS) using an awful editor (EDT) and
    batch compilers.   However, he is forced to do a lot of his work at home
    (documentation, overhead slides, budgets) using his personal computer since
    the provided hardware/software cannot perform those tasks.   How can this
    new employee believe the claims that company is a "world leader in the
    research, development, manufacture, and delivery of..." or has "a
    worldwide reputation for blending technological foresight and advanced
    resources to..." or "reputation is that of a technology and industry
    leader".

The absurdity of have a more useable, more likeable, more productive
computer at home compared to the provided computers at school or at work will
lead to dissatisfaction and frustration.  The first solution will be using
the personal computers to solve educational and work problems.  However, there
will still be the embarrassment and loss of confidence in the CS department
and CS work management that they are providing archaic, obsolete hardware and
software.

The forthcoming revolt is this:  my own computer at home is better than the
computer at school or work.

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (09/30/88)

comments on graphic interfaces, and micros vs. superminis/mainframes:

The real trick is to scale the computer used to the job at hand.  Using
micro computers in CS courses where relatively small pieces of code are
being written is often more appropriate than using superminis/mainframes.
On the other hand as the programs get larger, the superminis make much more
sense than micros -- especially if a large 'make' is what happens.  The tools
provided with most dialects of UNIX ( troff, pic, tbl, etc.) can produce
graphics more than adequate for anything I've needed to do and the source
files are portable to any troff, pic, etc. not just the same brand of pc
or Macintosh.

Graphical interfaces aren't everything.  I find that mice are annoying
because they make me take my hands off of the 'home row' of the keyboard.
That is why I use WordPerfect at home not MS Word.  A good command line
interface or shell ( ksh leaps to mind ) makes me much more productive
and happy than mice and windows ever will.  I'd much rather have a 17"
monocrome display with 35-50 lines of text than a smaller one that does
graphics and colour.

Disclaimer:  My first computer was a PDP-11, the terminal was a DECwriter,
             and the editor was TECO as I recall.
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (09/30/88)

I think the contention that "better at home than at work/school"
will spring a revolt of sorts has already been proven.  As Apple
joyously espouses in their Mac ads, many workplace computers have been
supplanted by home computers.  And as an example of the school
situation, my alma mater (N.C.State) has more and more professors
designing course assignments so that they may be done on personal
computers rather than archaic and/or overburdened department computers.
Two avenues that have opened this are extensive PD/shareware archive
and distribution networks on campus and innovative and liberal
educational discounts or site licenses for commercial software.
Computer rooms full of PCs and Macs make the technology accessable
to those without their own computers.
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (10/02/88)

One thing is for sure: A PC, Macintosh or an Amiga can *look* much
more impressive than the old traditional monochrome screen connected
to VAX or similar. But you use them for different purposes, and if
we are talking software engineering, these boring glass screens win.

Admittedly I have very little experience of PC software and none of
Mac or Amiga. No doubt you have better and nicer *application* software
available on these machines like tools for doing slides and documentation.
And since documentaion is a an important thing, this means these
machines can be of good help for that part of the work. And, at the
place I currently located, they have both VAXes and Macintoshes.

But for program development? Can these small machines give the
same support for large-scale projects? I saw a demonstration of
the debugger for Turbo-Pascal, and I wasn't too impressed. Nice
graphics, but it didn't seem to do better than the VMS debugger.
Source-code control? Make?

I think that the conclusion that the computer at home does better
than the one at work is little of a short-cut. You are looking too
much at the surface. For mangagers and other people who mainly
use application programs, the PC is a winner, but for a software
engineer?

A final comparison. For a while we had fun with the PC game "Leisure
Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizards". Nice graphics, true, but the
game as such became uninteresting since once you solved it, there
were no variations. On the other hand, I still like from time to
time playing nethack on this Unix machine. Simple ASCII for graphics,
not fancy at all, but the game as such has much more to offer than
Larry.
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (10/03/88)

[Excuse my writing, as it may be a bit incoherent.  I managed to get
less than an hours sleep last night, and am feeling a bit fatigued.
Aren't college computer science classes fun? ;-) ]

In article <3969@enea.se> sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:

>One thing is for sure: A PC, Macintosh or an Amiga can *look* much
>more impressive than the old traditional monochrome screen connected
>to VAX or similar. But you use them for different purposes, and if
>we are talking software engineering, these boring glass screens win.

     You should look again, a little more closely.  Personal computers
have matured a great deal since the dawn of the PET and Apple II.

>But for program development? Can these small machines give the
>same support for large-scale projects? I saw a demonstration of
>the debugger for Turbo-Pascal, and I wasn't too impressed. Nice
>graphics, but it didn't seem to do better than the VMS debugger.
>Source-code control? Make?

     Yup, program development tools are becoming as good or better
than many UNIX tools.  Take the Amiga, for instance (it is the one I
am most familiar with): it has several versions of emacs, vi, diff,
grep, compress, make, shells (both cshell workalikes and others) with
input-line-editting, etc.  There are source-level debuggers available
(apparently with the power of dbx), two nice C compilers (one which
mimics much of the functionality of UNIX cc), modula compilers, lint,
etc.  There are "batch files" (the near-equivalent to shell-scripts),
file protection bits, file dates, task spawning commands, etc.

     As you can see, personal computers are coming of age.  The
development environments are becoming robust, and with the added
advantage of a good windowing interface, personal computers are
beginning to rival the old glass-tty/Vax/Unix/Gnu-Emacs/ksh standard
(at least in *my* book! ;-).  The only thing I really miss is memory
protection, but hey, OS/2 is supposed to provide that (and everything
else, including the kitchen sink).  In short, personal computers are
becoming small workstations in their own right.

>I think that the conclusion that the computer at home does better
>than the one at work is little of a short-cut. You are looking too
>much at the surface. For mangagers and other people who mainly
>use application programs, the PC is a winner, but for a software
>engineer?

     Depends on the comparisons.  The original poster complained (and
rightly so) about outdated micros or mainframes and work vs. the
latest, greatest personal computers which people are buying and
finding more functional.  Now, if schools and companies kept up with
the times (and some of them do), students and programmers would have
access to the latest and greatest larger computers, and then maybe
they wouldn't want to program at home so much.

     As a side note, here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison the
Computer Science Departments hardware has changed drastically in the
last few years.  I used to program on overloaded PDP-11's and VAX
750's; now we use IBM RT's (which are a bit slooow), Macintoshes, HP
9000's, Microvaxes, IBM PC's etc.  Our department seems to have
tackled the old equipment situation and has greatly improved the
hardware.  The software isn't too shabby either (typically UNIX,
sometimes running X-Windows).

>A final comparison. For a while we had fun with the PC game "Leisure
>Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizards". Nice graphics, true, but the
>game as such became uninteresting since once you solved it, there
>were no variations. On the other hand, I still like from time to
>time playing nethack on this Unix machine. Simple ASCII for graphics,
>not fancy at all, but the game as such has much more to offer than
>Larry.

     Welllll, I used to play rogue a lot on the VAX/UNIX system here
at work until I got a shareware version of Larn for my Amiga.  Let's
see, VAX-rogue has black-and-white character graphics, a 9600 baud
transfer rate, can only be used with a keyboard, and is subject to
variations in "the Load Average (!)", whereas Amiga-Larn has
eight-color beasties, much faster transfer, uses the mouse, and the
only person on the machine is 'lil ol' me!  No contest....

>Erland Sommarskog

					.oO Chris Oo.

--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) (10/04/88)

In article <5479@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) writes:
> ... my alma mater (N.C.State) has more and more professors
> designing course assignments so that they may be done on personal
> computers rather than archaic and/or overburdened department computers.
> Two avenues that have opened this are extensive PD/shareware archive
> and distribution networks on campus and innovative and liberal
> educational discounts or site licenses for commercial software.

The down side of this is professors making assignments _on the assumption_
that the student has her own Mac available.  This is especially problematic
in areas such as mechanical drawing/drafting-type classes where the student
is not only expected to have the computer but is also expected to have
several $300-$500 pieces of software.

Sure, the department has _a_ Mac with the requisite software, but when there
are 20 or more people in the class (times however many classes make
assignments that require Macs) and the department's Mac isn't always up (or
available after 5PM - this is not the CS department we're talking about
here), the situation can get ugly.

Sometimes professors have gone so far as to require that assignments be
turned in on disk so that they can look at the assignments on their own Macs
(which the department bought them, natch).  This screws all the students who
happen to have a different machine or even different software (if the
professor's version is 3.0 and you bought the latest and greatest 3.2 and
3.0 can't read your file formats, you're scrod).

Mind you, I'm not blaming this on Apple - I like the Mac, and I have one at
home (but guess why we were forced to buy it instead of waiting for the Mac
II to drop in price).  But this problem seems to be prevalent at schools
which don't require students to buy computers as part of the entry fee, but
do participate in Apple's University Consortium.

--
--Alan Wexelblat      ARPA: WEX@MCC.COM
                      UUCP: {rutgers, uunet, &c}!cs.utexas.edu!milano!wex

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (10/04/88)

> The incredible rate of innovation and product development in the personal
> computer market has resulted in greatly improved user interfaces for
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> most home computers.    These interfaces are available on operating

It apears that, to this writer, GIUI == mouse & windows & menues.
To me, it means apropriate to the job at hand, without being hideously clumsy
when I stray off the beaten path.

> Aphorisms:
>     If your hardware does not support a mouse, then it is obsolete.
	Even if it supports a data-glove?
>     If your software does not support a mouse, then it, too, is obsolete.
	Even if it's a compiler-generator?
>     If your hardware does not support color graphics, windows, menus, then it
> 	is obsolete.
	My main use of a MAC is PageMaker, and I would HATE to try to use it
	on a color screen. 6pt text (12 pt "fit in window") on a < $6000
	color monitor sucks.
>     If your software does not support color graphics, windows, menus, then it,
> 	too, is obsolete.
	The MAC programs I have seen which support color graphics do so in
	quite a	rudimentary fashion, leading to rude shocks later.
>     Batch processing:  making people wait in order to minimize computer cycles.
	Personal computers: Making a user wait while his whole file is
	formatted and printed before we can read his mail, or buy a very
	expensive and buggy print spooler that will break next time
	Apple/Microsoft sneezes

	I bought a MAC (SE with Radius Full Page display and Accelerator16)
because my wife is doing contract work which requires it. In making room
in the office at home, I had to get rid of the old CIT-101 terminal and use
a terminal emulator on the MAC. I cannot understand how anyone considers
such a thing to be equivalent to (let alone better than) a real terminal
unless he has never used one or the other. Crude one-bit-deep characters
slowly scrolling by, cheesy feeling keyboard, etc. I know keyboards are
very subjective, but 6x8x1 vs 10x14x2 characters should be obvious to all.

	Also, all the MAC software I have been exposed to has what I
call the brick-wall effect. By this I mean that the "learning curve"
starts really shallow to lead you down the path, then as soon as you need
to do something just a little out of the way (e.g. add a word which is a
proper name but also an English word to the hyphenation dictionary) it's
Hello customer service. (you _did_ buy the extended warranty didn't you?)

	Yes, I would like a "easy to use" machine that also was easy
to program and customize and relatively bug free. From my experience
the MAC (let's not even discuss IBM PCs) is not it. If I have to make
a choice of "mice & windows" vs "programable & reliable", I'll take the
latter. If the hypothetical student would _understanding the tradeoff_
choose the latter, we should all pray he/she doesn't end up programming
for SDI or MasterCard

> The absurdity of have a more useable, more likeable, more productive
                                ???           maybe          for some things
> computer at home compared to the provided computers at school or at work will
> lead to dissatisfaction and frustration.  The first solution will be using
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   The same frustration I'm supposed to feel when I can't put 8 people in the
cab of my pickup or haul construction debris in my station wagon?

Perhaps computer science _is_ irrelevant to "the real world". Certainly a
cursory examination of "Inside Macintosh" or the MSDOS reference manuals
shows that the developers of both systems considered all sorts of research
into robust systems, extensibility, error recovery, etc. to be "irrelevant"
to their "advanced" systems.

Disclaimer: My first computer was an IBM 1440.

Caveat:	The 1440 was _not_ the last, best, worst, cheapest, most expensive,
         or anything else, just the first.

2nd disclaimer: Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today. Maybe it has to do with
	having to meet a deadline using a MAC. Maybe not.

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (10/05/88)

From article <3969@enea.se>, by sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog):

> One thing is for sure: A PC, Macintosh or an Amiga can *look* much
> more impressive than the old traditional monochrome screen connected
> to VAX or similar. But you use them for different purposes, and if
> we are talking software engineering, these boring glass screens win.

    True; but why not do both?  A Mac II with both MacOS and Unix,
    with Ada and an appropriate APSE, would be an *excellent* workstation.

    Having about a year of experience with Mac Plusses and Mac SEs,
    I am now VERY reluctant to use an IBM PC or similar monstrosity;
    those mice and windows are almost as addictive as programming!!

    Disclaimer: I'm assuming the standard, no-mouse IBM PCs...

                                      Bill Wolfe

                               wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (10/06/88)

In article <1301@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM>, wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) writes:
> Sure, the department has _a_ Mac with the requisite software, but when there
> are 20 or more people in the class (times however many classes make
> assignments that require Macs) and the department's Mac isn't always up (or
> available after 5PM - this is not the CS department we're talking about
> here), the situation can get ugly.

The department does not have _one_ Mac, nor _one_ IBM-PC.  The school
I described has multiple labs with multiple computers in each lab.  The
assignments require software that is provided either free or at HEAVY
discounts ($45 QuickC, PC-SAS at OUTRAGEOUS discounts, etc), many times
using PD/Shareware programs such as PD-Lisp for an AI course.  The
secret is that these courses BALANCE this with VAX labs where a
comparable UNIX-based program is available for those who don't wish
to persue PC-based solutions.  Instead of a prof sitting on his lazy
duff grading on his Apple-provided Mac as you go on to insinuate, the
profs in this case are willing to put in the extra effort to allow
assignments to be done by *multiple* avenues.  After all, most assign-
ments are graded by grad student TAs, right?

Don't jump to conclusions that PC-based assignments are based upon
ulterior motives of PC makers.  There *are* bad apples in academia
as well as industry, but a lot of people are really trying to
TEACH students about the real world.  And, alas, the college students
of today are much more sophisticated about computers than we were.
(PC in 1973 meant "printed circuit"!)
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *
 *  #include <std.disclamers>  cjl@ecsvax.BITNET          Bitnet       *
 *  #include <cutsey.quote>    cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu      Internet     *

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (10/06/88)

As they say, you should use the tool that is appropriate for the job. For a
little (<10K lines) program, I don't think you can beat the environment
something like Turbo C on a PC gives you with any mini or mainframe I've
ever worked with.  For larger systems of programs?  Not a chance.  In fact
many of the biggest names in PC software actually do their development on
a workstation or a mini, and then generate code for the target once its
running.  A good rule of thumb I've observed is that anytime a project can
be done by one or (maybe) two people, a PC is probably your best choice.

Since most programs written by students are under the 10K limit why not use
PCs?  Well, it's good to get used to working in an environment which supports
large software development (but still no reason to inflict vi on people),
even if you don't need it right now.

Hope my two cents worth have further (in)flammed the discussion.  It is an
important issue, and I don't believe that in order to develop large code
systems I have to work with development tools that suck eggs just to get
the ability to manage and integrate the work of a dozen programmers.
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) (10/06/88)

In article <5519@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord)
totally misses the point of my posting.

Since I was rather long-winded, let's see if I can summarize it:
      give students more power, I pointed out that professors often make
      assignments *assuming* that the student has such power available.  I
      pointed out that this is frequently a problem in non-CS departments.
      I did not impute nefarious motives to anyone, merely ignorant
      assumptions to a certain type of professor.

Charles' comments that some professors/schools/departments aren't nefarious
and some places offer huge discounts to students therefore misses my point.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat.

--
--Alan Wexelblat      ARPA: WEX@MCC.COM
                      UUCP: {rutgers, uunet, &c}!cs.utexas.edu!milano!wex

"The God I believe in is not short of cash."

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (10/07/88)

In article <1322@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM>, wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) writes:
> In article <5519@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord)
> totally misses the point of my posting.

No, Alan, you also missed MY point that this problem is NOT a frequent
happening in the school mentioned.  Software discounts and nefarious-
ness aside, there are profs around who ALLOW students to use PC power
while NOT forcing them to seek PC access when they don't already have
it.  This is called Intro to Real World 101- for the Prof, not for
the student...  Budgets and Grad-level research (spelled M-o-n-e-y)
get the big bang boxes and the undergrads tend to get what's left in
many cases.  PCs are just an alternative, not something forced on
students.

I will concede that CAD courses may indeed be built around MACs or
some other proprietary hardware and may thus severely limit
student access.  Gee, that sounds like the typical work environment...
--

psrc@poseidon.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (10/18/88)

In article <3969@enea.se>, sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
> But for program development? Can these small machines give the
> same support for large-scale projects? I saw a demonstration of
> the debugger for Turbo-Pascal, and I wasn't too impressed. Nice
> graphics, but it didn't seem to do better than the VMS debugger.

I don't know which TP debugger you saw, but several companies make
*good* ones.  Borland's new Turbo Debugger (*not* the new integrated
debugger in TP 5.0 and TC 2.0) offers a multiple views of the
software:  variables and expressions, code shown as C or assembler,
registers (CPU and math coprocessor), stack, breakpoints, program
output, and a log that breakpoints and such can write to.  You can
break at a given line or instruction, or when a certain expression
comes true, or a certain variable gets modified.  There are actually
*three* debuggers:  one for vanilla 8088's and such, one for 80386-based
systems, and one for remote debugging of software running on a second
system.  (There's also a programmable interface for hardware debugging
boards like Atron's and Periscope's.)

> Source-code control? Make?

Yes.  Yes.  And lint, and C++, and ksh, and awk, and vi, and emacs, and
nroff/troff, and TeX, and some Scribe variants.

But wait, there's more!  Many (most?) of the new computer assisted
software engineering (CASE) tools are being written for desktop systems
(Macintoshes and high-end MS-DOS boxes).  Even the mainframe COBOL
programmers are finding lots of tools for their eventual platform
running on PCs.

What's going on here?  Companies that write software tools like writing
them for desktop systems, for three reasons.

1)  There are a *lot* of these boxes out there.  Literally millions,
even if you make a 286 or a 68000 your minimal requirement.  So there's
a large customer base.

2)  These boxes are *cheap*.  Yes, a dumb terminal only costs $400.
But a 286 or 68000 system can be picked up for $2000-$3000.  (And the
manager who buys such systems for his or her staff can buy word
processing software for a few hundred dollars more, making the PCs even
more cost effective.)  So there's a large *potential* customer base.

3)  The desktop platforms are reasonably standardized.  Text-only
applications are easier to write for MS-DOS than curses, and lots
faster.  Graphics applications for the Mac (screen and printer) are a
breeze.  (Granted, the initial learning curve looks like a cliff.)
Graphics applications in the CGA/HGA/EGA/VGA world of MS-DOS are
tougher; third party libraries help ease the pain considerably.  I can
write a graphics application for NeWS, and X, and Apollo; but the
graphics parts aren't going to share a lot of code.  (And I've got
binary compatibility of executables, not just source code compatibility.
And a standard medium and format for distributing code and data.)

It's a lot easier to write a software tool for a big box than to
squeeze it into a little one.  But it's a lot more *profitable* to
shoehorn such tools on to the desktop.  That's what a lot of companies
have done; and that's why PC programmers can get spoiled.

>Erland Sommarskog, ENEA Data, Stockholm, sommar@enea.UUCP

Paul S. R. Chisholm, psrc@poseidon.att.com (formerly psc@lznv.att.com)
AT&T Bell Laboratories, att!poseidon!psrc, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.