[comp.software-eng] Quotes

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (11/18/88)

Sorry if this is not appropriate for this group, but I'm looking for a
reference to a couple of quotes that (I think) I heard sometime in this
newsgroup.  They related to tools and went something like:

	If the only tool you have is an axe, every problem looks like
	a tree.

	If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend four hours
	sharpening my axe.

Does anyone know the exact quotes and who said them?  Thanx in advance.
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC		(shf@wso.Stanford.EDU)

In article <7675@well.UUCP> shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) writes:
>reference to a couple of quotes ...
>	If the only tool you have is an axe, every problem looks like
>	a tree.

This is a re-phrase of an old proverb out of "folk wisdom".  I've
heard it more often phrased with a hammer and nail, though.

+	If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend four hours
+	sharpening my axe.

I hadn't heard this one before, but I'm glad I have now!

	Joe Yao		jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)
	hadron!jsdy@{uunet.UU.NET,dtix.ARPA,decuac.DEC.COM}
	arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,dtix,\
	ecogong,empire,gong,grebyn,inco,insight, \!hadron!jsdy
	kcwc,lepton,netex,netxcom,phw5,rlgvax,	 /
	seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,uunet		/
		(POSSIBLY OUT OF DATE)