Date:         Mon, 12 Dec 88 15:50:17 CDT
From: RBCSCG05 <COSTERHD@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>
Subject:      ????   OBERON    ????

     Has anyone heard of a language called OBERON ?
     It is a new language by Niklaus Wirth based on his MODULA-2, I believe

     I would like any information on its development and implementation.
     Additionally, where did he come up with the intriguing name that means
          King of the Fairies and how does this apply to the language ?

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 88 15:55:28 GMT
From: osu-cis!dsacg1!dsacg3!vfm6066@ohio-state.arpa  (John A. Ebersold)
Subject: Re: software complexity measures

In article <3538@tekig4.TEK.COM> jimst@tekig4.TEK.COM (Jim Stanley) writes:
>I am interested in current thinking on software complexity metrics.
>What measures are in use, and which ones are considered 'good?'

Two measures that I know of are Cyclomatic Complexity and Function Point
Estimating?  The former calculates all the unique decsion paths throught a
module and yields a complexity measure.

The latter is more a method of estimating development time - I forget the
details.

One thing I remember from classes on the subject is that several methods should
be used to get a better perspective on the subject.

If I could recommend a book:  Software Engineering: A Practioners Approach
by Dr Roger Pressman, discusses this and many other subjects related to
software engineering.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Dec 88 17:55:52 GMT
From: cunyvm!ndsuvm1!ndsuvax!nopuklic%psuvm.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Blayne Puklich)

>If I could recommend a book:  Software Engineering: A Practioners Approach
>by Dr Roger Pressman, discusses this and many other subjects related to
>software engineering.

Here's the rest of the information on this book:
        Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach
        McGraw-Hill Book Company
        Author: Roger S. Pressman
        ISBN 0-07-050783-X

The book is very informative, but also very sketchy in some spots.

The two metrics mentioned above have other names.  They are McCabe's
Complexity Measure, and Halstead's Software Science, respectively.  Both
are explained very well in the above book on pages 452-458.  However,
Halstead's bases itself on the notion of program "volume" and can be computed
only after the program has been completed.  McCabe's can be computed before,
during the design phase.

I got a small set of tools to compute these from Brian Renaud.  You can
either reach him at bdr%huron.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu, or I can send the
tools if you can't reach Brian.

Hope this helps even more.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Dec 88 00:28:26 GMT
From: apple!earlw@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (Earl Wallace)
Subject: Will 'nmake' be part of V.4?

Does anyone know if the AT&T System V, Release 4.0 UNIX will include the
'nmake' program which is currently available from the AT&T Toolchest?

If nmake is going to be part of the V.4 product, will the source makefiles
take advantage of nmake's new features over the old make?

And... if nmake is not part of V.4 and the source hasn't been modified to
use nmake, why?

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 88 15:33:12 GMT
From: cs.utexas.edu!sm.unisys.com!aero!abbott@ohio-state.arpa  (Russell J. Abbott)
Subject: Software Reuse

There has been much discussionn recently about software reuse.  I'm
interested in knowing the extent to which the organization for which
readers of this newsgroup work supports/encourages reuse.  For example:

Are there corporate-wide (division-wide, department-wide, ??-wide) reuse
libraries?

Is the creation of reusable elements encouraged?  If so, how?  For
example, one of the evaluation items in a performance review may be the
number of reusable elements submitted to (and accepted by) the reuse
library.

Is reuse encoraged?  If so, how?  For example, there may be a regular
newsletter to inform people of new elements available for reuse.  Or if
there is a reuse library, there may be support for people wanting to use
it?

I will summarize and post replies.

End of Software Engineering Digest