[comp.software-eng] The High Cost Of Software Practice & Experience

munck@linus.UUCP (Robert Munck) (12/21/88)

I just received an advertising flyer from John Wiley & Sons for
the journal "Software Practice & Experience."  Anyone who has had
any contact with it knows about the quality of this journal;
the articles are timely, well written/refereed, and extremely
interesting, the Editors and Editorial Board are top-notch
people, and the breadth of coverage is great.  Somehow just the
sight of that distinctive red cover says "this is good."

Until, that is, you come to the subscription price.  This flyer
offers a mark-down from $315/year to $236.25/year for "personal
subscriptions mailed to a home address."  (Twelve issues.)

I honestly don't understand that price.  Given the cost of all those
good people, production, (overseas) mailing, etc. etc., how can they
possibly charge $20 an issue?  I can't believe that greed is the
motivation, except possibly for the publisher.

I put a lot of time and effort into keeping up with the state of the
art; about 40 journals, newspapers, etc.  This one magazine would
cost about 1/3 of what I'm spending now.  Consider that it could be
sent out in Postscript form by E-mail, saving all post-editing production
costs.  What would they have to charge then?

(That $78.75 difference in cost bothers me, too.  Suppose I read my copy
and then donate it to a library.  Do I have to send Wiley $78.75?)
                               -- Bob <Munck@MITRE.org>

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/22/88)

In article <43150@linus.UUCP> munck@faron.UUCP (Robert Munck) writes:
>I honestly don't understand that price [of $236 per year].

Lower-circulation periodicals cost more.

But more importantly, for-profit publishers (as opposed to non-profit
organizations such as ACM) charge what the market will bear.  Because
of its quality, "Software--Practice and Experience" is a "must have"
for any library and for many individuals.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (12/23/88)

 The first time I ran into this journal was several years ago
 when there was a big announcement in the general computer press
 that a sort had been developed that was faster than quicksort, and
 the details were to be published in SP&E.  I'm hazy on exactly
 what happened, but it seems like the sort was only faster on
 certain data arrangements.

 At any rate, does anyone know if these are "paid" articles, in
 the sense of substantial money going to the authors, or is it
 a "scholar" type pub, where it's just for glory (and tenure)?

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona   Northern Arizona University
  College of Engineering           *usual disclaimers*
  NAU Box 15600                    ...arizona!naucse!rrw
  Flagstaff, Az.                   BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX
  86011                            602-523-2052
                                   (note: Bitnet node NAUVAX may not be
                                    known yet to all stations)

  College Motto:  "The highest level of engineering in the Southwest
                                 (7,000 feet)"

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (12/27/88)

>  The first time I ran into this journal was several years ago
>  when there was a big announcement in the general computer press
>  that a sort had been developed that was faster than quicksort, and
>  the details were to be published in SP&E.  I'm hazy on exactly
>  what happened, but it seems like the sort was only faster on
>  certain data arrangements.
>
>  At any rate, does anyone know if these are "paid" articles, in
>  the sense of substantial money going to the authors, or is it
>  a "scholar" type pub, where it's just for glory (and tenure)?
>

>  -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona   Northern Arizona University
>   College of Engineering           *usual disclaimers*
>   NAU Box 15600                    ...arizona!naucse!rrw
>   Flagstaff, Az.                   BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX
>   86011                            602-523-2052
>                                    (note: Bitnet node NAUVAX may not be
>                                     known yet to all stations)
>
>   College Motto:  "The highest level of engineering in the Southwest
>                                  (7,000 feet)"

The authors of paper which appear in SP & E receive no money for their
articles, and in fact, as is customary within such circles, sign the
copyright of the paper over to Wiley & Sons meaning they cannot publish
it (though they do have some liberal rights to use it in "noncommercial
settings") elsewhere (eg, in an anthology) without Wiley's permission.

Further, the reviewers of papers in SP & E (again, as is customary in
such circles) receive no pay for their efforts.  I would imagine the
editor-in-chief(s) receive some compensation for their efforts, but no
where near a full time salary (maybe $1000/month or so ... anyone know
for sure???).

The high cost of SP & E is due in part to (1) Wiley & Sons is a for-profit
outfit and (2) they accept very little advertising.  In contrast, the
Communications of the ACM only costs about $40 a year (or it is thrown in
with your ACM membership), and accepts (editorial on {way too much
editorial off) advertising.  In addition, authors of papers are not only
not paid for the papers, but they have to pay $125 a page for "page charges"
to help offset the typesetting and production charges.  This does not imply
that the CACM will accept anyone's paper, in fact there are 4 to 5 times
as many papers submitted than are published.  The party line is the page
charges are always "voluntary" but I have always opted to have my school
pay them.

As far as people's motivations for publishing in these journals, it
is usually based on several things: (1) since the paper is accepted or
rejected based on the recommendations of 2 to 5 referees who are usually
experts in the field, publication of your work is indication that your
work is technically sound ... this is important since others in your
department may not be expert enough in your particular field to determine
that on their own. (2) many government grants require publication so the
results you come up with (and the govt paid for) will be disemminated to
others (3) it is (I think) human nature to want to tell others that you
respect about the stuff you're doing ... publishing in these journals
(as opposed to Dr. Dobbs Overbyte ...) will ensure that these people
will read about your work (4) it keeps others from reinventing the wheel.

As far as motivations go for serving as an editor or a referee, I can only
speak for myself, but I feel that it is an obligation I owe since I expect
others to serve as referees for my work or to edit journals and conference
proceedings that my stuff might appear in, or that I might even read.

If you want to get involved, and have some specific expertise, write the
editor in chief of your favorite journal and volunteer.  They may or may
not be able to use you, but I know it's always nice having a group of
people instead of just one or two to send a paper to.  Likewise, get
involved with ACM Computing Reviews (BTW this is the only chance you'll ever
get for a signed review - all other refereeing is anonymous) - they can
always use reviewers.  If you like what is appearing in today's journals,
you can keep it going by serving as a reviewer, if you don't, you can change
it.

Warren
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (12/27/88)

In article <5265@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>But more importantly, for-profit publishers (as opposed to non-profit
>organizations such as ACM) charge what the market will bear.  Because
>of its quality, "Software--Practice and Experience" is a "must have"
>for any library and for many individuals.

     And it is one of the few "must have" journals that can command
such a price.  It is perhaps the *only* monthly journal that I just
had to check each and every month.  Unfortunately, I no longer have
access to it and can not affort to subscribe.  I do miss reading it.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-129

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (12/28/88)

In article <43150@linus.UUCP> munck@faron.UUCP (Robert Munck) writes:

>I just received an advertising flyer from John Wiley & Sons for
>the journal "Software Practice & Experience."  Anyone who has had
>any contact with it knows about the quality of this journal;
>the articles are timely, well written/refereed, and extremely
>interesting, the Editors and Editorial Board are top-notch
>people, and the breadth of coverage is great.  Somehow just the
>sight of that distinctive red cover says "this is good."
>
>Until, that is, you come to the subscription price.  This flyer
>offers a mark-down from $315/year to $236.25/year for "personal
>subscriptions mailed to a home address."  (Twelve issues.)

I also received a copy of this flyer, and was ready to subscribe
until I saw the price.  In my opinion the price is much too high.
If I remember correctly my dues in IEEE and a couple of IEEE societies
was less than $ 150.00 per year.

I may make a fat salary, but not that fat :-)

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john