[net.micro] Surge Protectors

naparst@cartan.BERKELEY.EDU (Harold Naparst) (03/11/86)

Every time my refeigerator turns on and off I am afraid I am frying my
CPU or putting potholes in my hard disk.  Are these fears founded at all ?
Should I buy a surge protector ?  Does anyone have experience with these
things ?  There appear to be several types, including a strip like thing
for about $20, which I could spring for if it does something useful.

Harold Naparst (naparst@cartan.BERKELEY.EDU)

ucbvax!brahms!naparst	Harold Naparst/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) (03/12/86)

In article <12323@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> naparst@cartan.BERKELEY.EDU (Harold Naparst) writes:
>Every time my refeigerator turns on and off I am afraid I am frying my
>CPU or putting potholes in my hard disk.  Are these fears founded at all ?
>Should I buy a surge protector ?  Does anyone have experience with these
>things ?  There appear to be several types, including a strip like thing
>for about $20, which I could spring for if it does something useful.

Generally, refridgerators are on separate circuits than the rest of the
house, and on a dedicated circuit (same as washer/dryer).  If you insist
on worrying about something causing a surge and damaging computer equipment,
worry about the coffee maker or microwave oven or toaster.  Even that is
probably wasted worry, though, since most houses have separate circuits for
the kitchen than for the rest of the house.

The cheap surge protectors are simply an extension cord with a couple
or three MOVs (metal oxide variable resistors) jumpered between the power
leads.  This is supposed to channel off the excess voltage (current?)
to the ground lead.  I don't have any experience with them.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage.
	ARPA:	calma!radzy@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

ECO10125%BOSTONU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (03/28/86)

Could anyone out there in net-world suggest a good and inexpensive
surge protector/noise filter for use with a PC/XT system. I bought
something from "Powerguard" but it blew up with a bang - fortunately
I had not switched on my computer and the company was saved from my
lawsuit!
I am looking for something in the under $150 range. Information on
UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supplies - would also be appreciated.
Thanks.
Irfan Ahmad
eco10125
Bostonu
- - - - -

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (04/02/86)

> Could anyone out there in net-world suggest a good and inexpensive
> surge protector/noise filter for use with a PC/XT system. I bought
> something from "Powerguard" but it blew up with a bang - fortunately
> I had not switched on my computer and the company was saved from my
> lawsuit!
> I am looking for something in the under $150 range. Information on
> UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supplies - would also be appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Irfan Ahmad
> eco10125
> Bostonu
> - - - - -

Then again, it might have self destructed because it was blocking a surge.
I don't suppose anything else in your domicile was affected? You can't
buy a UPS for an XT with a hard disk for less than 150. A real one (several
minutes of backup power and actual sine wave output) will be more than
$500.

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

In article <238@intelca.UUCP> cem@intelca.UUCP writes:
>> Could anyone out there in net-world suggest a good and inexpensive
>> surge protector/noise filter for use with a PC/XT system.

There are some nice units sold under the Tripplite brand that include both
filtering and surge protection.  You can get them through some of the DP/WP
supply catalogs or at Electrical/Electronic wholesalers.  Seems the me that
the price was in the range ~50-100 dollars depending on the number of outlets
provided...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr